Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Excerpts from my diary 2013: My HOD (1)

Keke

I am really shy about putting out my LGBT themed fiction. I am more comfortable putting my research work on LBGT Rights out there.

Since this is a closed forum of like minds. I'm gonna do this. This is a daily freestyle for as long as it lasts. Edits are embraced.

Here goes.

4th Mar. 2013

This is my Sixth day of work as an Associate In-House Counsel in Alakah Consulting Limited.
I resumed work on the 25th day of February with a training that lasted through the week.
I met the Head of my Department and one of the Directors of the firm Dr. Fauziya Adam for the first time today. She is just fresh from an official assignment.
 The moment I stepped into her office, it dawned on me that working with her would require a lot of tact. She seems to be everything I heard she is in the office cafeteria (where more gossiping than eating goes on).  
No smile.
Permanent scowl that throws you off balance.  
Harsh tone.
Fault finder.  

“You are the new one,” she said to me as she leafed through some filed documents never looking up the duration of the conversation.
“Yes Doc,” I had been told it is important to call her that.
“I see.” Leaf. Leaf. “I hope you really are as impressive as your CV says.” Leaf. Leaf. Leaf.
“I try my best Doc.”
“Well, we will have serious issues if your best is not good enough,” she said with a wave of dismissal.
“Come back by 3, let me pick your brain and know how you plan to make this work.”
“Thank you, Doc,” I said as I took my leave.
My best is always good enough.

I thought of the other job offer I had pending. I had two weeks to send in my acceptance letter. I was not too excited at the prospect because I have never been a fan of Government Ministries.  
Mum thinks they are the best in terms of getting paid whatever your output, and then there is the issue of job security. That’s not what I need. I have to leave Nigeria to Pretoria, SA to start my Doctorate degree in seven months. I had deferred my admission from the previous year because funds were not forthcoming. I need money and Alakar Consulting pays enough to give me a soft landing; I am not going to let anyone ruin this for me.

• Like 1