Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

The Black Panther, So What Next?

kimi

• Moderators

The buzz of the Black Panther is unparalleled. The movie was a massive success grossing some $22million over and above The Avengers (I hear).

If you haven't seen it, you aren't alone. I did make an attempt today but the sight of the queues was enough to make me rethink seeing it today. So... I have resolved to see it when it becomes a morning movie 😊

Now... to the thoughts that it provokes within: Great movie, now what?!

We've been shown a futuristic Africa. An Africa no doubt which is extremely desireable. Shall it end there (as fairytale) or will we be challenged do something about our collective reality? 

Should the movie not inspire the zeal to do better? To demand that our leaders do better? Or shall we go back to our daily lives after the euphoria of the movie has waned and continue like it's business as usual?

These are a few thoughts brought to mind by the movie.

Please share your thoughts

I am yet to see it, No spoilers o.... 😡 lol

Black panther is amaaazzzziiiing. Lol. Though, It may not have been as close to our reality as we would like, it definitely gives a spin on an Afro futuristic country that has all its act together (Meanwhile, I read somewhere that Wakanda was inspired by an African empire - Mutapa, which has a powerful trade center). I think that’s why I enjoyed it so much. 

Wakanda is the way it is because it has Vibranium, a valuable mineral that has been infused in all their tech. As far as inspiring Africans, sadly I don’t think it would. In this part of the woods, people would go watch the movie (in trads), enjoy it, take pictures and go back to living their reality. It’s all forgotten after a few weeks. 

For us to even conceptualise something as beautiful and advanced as Wakanda, a revolution has to occur. Sadly, I don’t think we are ready. I mean, people are blaming thefts on snakes and monkeys with straight faces and we all just think it’s a joke.

Ceartainly, people are tired of the way things are but not sure anyone really wants to do anything about it. More than half of Nigeria’s population dont have PVCs, how then can we demand better or vote better leaders a year from now? 

Anyway, #wakandaforever 🙅🏾‍♀️ lol. 

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of anything Marvel, but anyway, I went to see it on Friday when my friends kept hyping the movie. 

I was just rolling my eyes all through. it's not my kinda movie at all. I didn't care much about the story line.. it was just bleehh. 

I should have seen Fifty shades freed instead..☺ 

Anyway, it's done and dusted. 

I'm yet to see the movie.  I've avoided reading any article about it, watching any clip about it lol.  I don't want any useless person/video to spoil it for me😁. But I can't wait to watch it now, I already know marvel won't disappoint me. 

Lol. But really it’s not that serious. It’s a f***king movie. If people can be excited about Harry Potter movies why is it not okay for black people to be excited about a movie that portrays them in a positive light. 

The Africa portray in the movie is very much achievable and should have even be the current state of most African countries but unfortunately Africans will be Africans. Let's just enjoy the movie jare

• Administrators

I have no recollection of the movie; I slept off 10 minutes into viewing this movie.

Should the movie not inspire the zeal to do better? To demand that our leaders do better? Or shall we go back to our daily lives after the euphoria of the movie has waned and continue like it's business as usual? - I honestly don't think this movie would have any effect on Africa/Africans. It’s just another money-making venture for the movie producers which sadly isn’t beneficial to Africa.

I'm waiting for my Alaba brothers to show me love.

i hope to see it soon to buy for at least 150box, i wont still pay sef cos i will copy it and return it back with the excuse that it did not play.

#team tight fisted

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, vina said:

i hope to see it soon to buy for at least 150box, i wont still pay sef cos i will copy it and return it back with the excuse that it did not play.

#team tight fisted

Ya even worse than I am. Lmao

On Tue Feb 27 2018 at 7:41 PM, vina said:

#team tight fisted

We are in this alaba something together. 

Abeg, if you see am buy, holla at me make I come collect am too. But if I see am buy for #100, I go call you.

• Moderators

So... I finally saw this movie o...Lol. I must say, I enjoyed it.

I loved the detail. The African tradition was well represented. From the concuctions, to the rituals, to the thunderous sounds of our drums, the baritone voices of our men, the strength of our women, the strong sense of identity to culture, our belief and ties with the afterlife etc... very well portrayed I must confess.

At the end, it felt like only 30minutes had passed. It's like I kept waiting for something bigger to happen. Something mindblowing. Lol. Probably all the hype and spoilers at work there.

It is certainly one movie I can watch a second time. I didn't do the Wakanda sign though. Lol. Not physically at least .lol 😁😁

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kimi said:

It's like I kept waiting for something bigger to happen. Something mindblowing.

Lol I think this is why some people say it’s overrated. 

You’ve been baptized. #wakandaforever 🙅🏾‍♀️🙅🏾‍♀️Lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kimi said:

It is certainly one movie I can watch a second time. I didn't do the Wakanda sign though. Lol. Not physically at least .lol 😁😁

You didn't? That's was the first thing I learnt plus screaming colonizer in wakandan's accent :597f83a445cb9_tw_joy1:

As for those chanting over rated, say it's over rated one more time, Colonizers! 

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Gimbiyya said:

You didn't? That's was the first thing I learnt plus screaming colonizer in wakandan's accent :597f83a445cb9_tw_joy1:

As for those chanting over rated, say it's over rated one more time, Colonizers! 

Loool. Nopes, I didn't. I bark though 🙈 each time I'm asked about my favourite scene. Woof! Lol :597f824b9bcf2_tw_blush1:🙄☻

• Haha 1