Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Excerpts from my diary 2013: My HOD (2)

Keke

6th May 2013
The last time I made an entry about Doc is the first day I met her.

After the thorough conversation in her office by 3pm, I was grateful she wasn’t on the panel that conducted my interview.
My first two months on the job was smooth and fortunately uneventful. Fortunately? Well...
Doc has been away on a Consulting trip to Eastern Nigeria for the most of it.
I closed two contracts. They were easy ones that didn’t require any travelling.  
At closing time each day, it is the norm to have a phone meeting with Dr. Fauziya  to keep her updated on on-goings in the office. In between polite and professional emails, there were not so nice phone calls that never failed to mentally exhaust me.

Is there no pleasing this woman?
I am beginning to understand why the last occupant of my position resigned. 

Office gossips would jokingly ask, "them done baptise you?"

I always feign ignorance at the genuine purpose of that question. My response has always been a blank and confused look and then to ask in an innocent voice what do you mean? They would snicker and find something else to talk  about. I really do not want to join a clique of snickering office gossips in this new place.

Yes, I have been baptised. Over and over again!

Words like daft and incompetent have become rather reoccurrent in our conversations and nothing is ever good enough.
Today, she summoned a tornado because I had used my discretion on a decision without asking her. It was urgent, I could not reach her. The notice of vacancy had said 'ability to think outside the box and work with minimal or no supervision'. In the end it turned out she didn’t have an alternative. She would have done the same thing. The word insubordination got thrown around a lot. And then there was a threat of query and suspension in the event of a reoccurrence.
I have a throbbing migraine. I hope I can get some sleep tonight.
I dread tomorrow. It is going to be her first day at work in two months. It’s also her birthday.  HR had called a meeting the day before.  There was to be a cake presented by the welfare committee. No other person but the welfare  committee and other Directors as much as breathed happy birthday. To Doc that would be highly unprofessional; spending precious office hours on birthday wishes.
Well, I did something today. I don’t know why I did it.  
I had a lipstick set wrapped in a gift shop on my way back from work.

I decided one of those expensive little boxes with music, and a blue wrap finished with a pink ribbon. I feel silly.
It is a birthday gift for Doc.
It is a set of five lipsticks. Mixture of different brands. Chestnut brown in  L’Oreal, dusty lilac in Maybelline, silky mauve in CoverGirl, a soft metallic color in Urban Decay and sandy peach in Generation G. 

Silly choice. I should have added one bold color. Well, Doc does not look the type for vampie-lips.

It cost a little Fortune. I hope she appreciates that at my level this is a lot.
I’ve never noticed lipstick on her.
I am not a member of the welfare committee.
 Why the hell did I do this?