Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Much Ado about nothing; same sex "marriage"

Keke

I always look forward to the day freedom of association and existence will be recognized for same sex couples and bisexual couples in Nigeria.

If I decide to spend the rest of my life with a man as a bisexual, let it be a matter of choice, and not because having it the other way would attract an indictment.

However, one thing I am sure I would not want for a recognized LGBT community in Nigeria is the struggle to be allowed to have "marriages" and use the "husband and wife" term. Really?

I'd never understand that struggle. But then, we all have different ways of seeing things. For those who really think it should be, it is valid I guess.

The struggle for our Union to be called marriage to me is just like seeking validation of our existence from the word; you can imagine how so, especially when those who are stuck up on that word are homophobes who think marriage is the beginning and end of everyone's existence.

I'd prefer a domestic Union or partnership so long as I would not be denied whatever "married" people are entitled to by Law.

One may be tempted to argue that domestic partnerships are a short term solution whereas marriage is long-lasting. Oh yeah? Don't get me started on the skyrocketing divorce rates even in African countries where divorce was at some point in the recent past considered a huge shame to the family, kindred, clan...

Whatever Rocks one's boat.. ☺ 

*singing* oh please,dont you rock my boat.. Cos I don't want my boat to be rocking... 

There is no Right or wrong, or an easy way to these things for some people ..i'd say, do what your heart desires. 

At the end of the day, Happiness is the End game so to speak. If you are happy in whatever situationship, relationship, partnership, or union, then it's all that matters.. 

8 hours ago, DipBluSae said:

will always be in expectation of that..

It's just sad that this is the reality of some of us.

One may be tempted to argue that domestic partnerships are a short term solution whereas marriage is long-lasting

Whatever tag the relationship takes on, as long as two people who love each other spends time together for as long as it lasts and they're both happy with each other that's all that matter to me. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ChazBee said:

One may be tempted to argue that domestic partnerships are a short term solution whereas marriage is long-lasting

Whatever tag the relationship takes on, as long as two people who love each other spends time together for as long as it lasts and they're both happy with each other that's all that matter to me. 

I like this... 👌🏽

• Like 1

I once watched this movie...I think it was " if this walls could talk 2 "... And these 2 ladies had been together from their young years until they were like really old, in their 60's or so , and one of them died...she had a stroke. When her nephew came, he didn't care that they had bought the house they had lived in together, he only cared that the house receipts were in his aunts name, a lot of stuff had been in his aunts name anyway eventhough they had done those stuff together...long story short, the living partner had to move to a home for the elderly because dude wanted to renovate the house and sell it.

I think for me that was the first time I ever truly understood the struggle for queer marriage. 

My other thoughts on this subject are largely incoherent at the moment so let me stop here until I can articulate them properly.

If my partner and I get the same rights as straight married couples then I don't care.

But then again, what's the point? Why create something else when there's already a term/umbrella for what you want?

The whole point is to break the glass ceiling regarding marriage because I see no reason why it should be exclusive to some (heterosexuals).

• 3 weeks later...

We deserve more than a "domestic partnership". We deserve marriage and every right that goes with it. Let it be my choice to marry or not, but I'm not settling for partnership when heteros get more. Is their love more special than mine? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1