Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Is Gaydar Just Stereotyping?

Midnighter

I dont have a gaydar to save my life.

The number of times I have mistaken outright flirting for "that Lady is so nice" is hilarious.

Anyhow back to the topic, some "research" has claimed gaydar is a myth and just an avenue to stereotype people based on either their fashion, behavior or lifestyle choices. 

What is everyone's view on this?

There could be a 'truth' there..

To a large extent, I believe gaydar is stereotyping people. Because going by the definition of gaydar, its the intuitive ability of a person to access another's sexual orientation from cues, loud or subtle indications and which of course is largely based on fashion, behavior and lifestyle choices like you rightly mentioned. 

Using myself as a case study, the times when I have felt my gaydar was the most active, was when I have seen girls who give off a tomboy vibe(not necessarily dressed as one) girls who have flirtatious eyes, and a come-hither smile.. That's being stereotypical. ☺ 

So many lesbians give nothing away, so with people like that you would think your gaydar is broken, but no, it isn't. It's only because they are not giving you the stereotypical vibes you are used to getting. 

But then, leaning on my intuition, which is key in having a gaydar, I have never been wrong. 

13 minutes ago, Ivyy said:

There could be a 'truth' there..

To a large extent, I believe gaydar is stereotyping people. Because going by the definition of gaydar, its the intuitive ability of a person to access another's sexual orientation from cues, loud or subtle indications and which of course is largely based on fashion, behavior and lifestyle choices like you rightly mentioned. 

Using myself as a case study, the times when I have felt my gaydar was the most active, was when I have seen girls who give off a tomboy vibe(not necessarily dressed as one) girls who have flirtatious eyes, and a come-hither smile.. That's being stereotypical. ☺ 

So many lesbians give nothing away, so with people like that you would think your gaydar is broken, but no, it isn't. It's only because they are not giving you the stereotypical vibes you are used to getting. 

But then, leaning on my intuition, which is key in having a gaydar, I have never been wrong. 

Teach me your ways oh Sensei! 

If your are correct that gaydar is mostly stereotyping, is it wrong then? Will you like to be stereotyped, not just on your sexuality, it could apply to any aspects of your life.

17 minutes ago, kimi said:

I like this topic. 

In my opinion, alot of the time, I think it is. Lol. 

What are your views on stereotyping then? From my point of view, it can be seen as a cop out of some sort. Not willing to put in work to know about the person.

Dont get me wrong, i wish my gaydar was A1 but I love conversations on stereotypes and there application in everyday life.

24 minutes ago, Midnighter said:

Teach me your ways oh Sensei! 

If your are correct that gaydar is mostly stereotyping, is it wrong then? Will you like to be stereotyped, not just on your sexuality, it could apply to any aspects of your life.

Lol @ oh sensei..

I need me a sensei. I am still learning. 😁 

I wouldn't say it's wrong. Most gay people rely on their gaydar to know who to approach and who not to.. 

Gaydar is good.. Until it fails you.. 😁 

And no, I wouldn't want to be stereotyped.. I wanted to get a crazy hairstyle, but when the stylist told me that people would think I am a lesbian if I do, the fear of being stereotyped held me back. Sadly, that's the world we live in. 

8 minutes ago, Ivyy said:

Lol @ oh sensei..

I need me a sensei. I am still learning. 😁 

I wouldn't say it's wrong. Most gay people rely on their gaydar to know who to approach and who not to.. 

And no, I wouldn't want to be stereotyped.. I wanted to get a crazy hairstyle, but when the stylist told me that people would think I am a lesbian if I do, the fear of being stereotyped held me back. Sadly, that's the world we live in. 

And no, I dont think I am correct, I could be wrong, I don't have the right answers to these things. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Midnighter said:

What are your views on stereotyping then? From my point of view, it can be seen as a cop out of some sort. Not willing to put in work to know about the person.

Dont get me wrong, i wish my gaydar was A1 but I love conversations on stereotypes and there application in everyday life.

My views? It's human nature to fit people into the proverbial box. Lol. I honestly wouldn't want to be detected... there are times when I have felt that perhaps this has occured and I literally feel my heart sink.

The only time I am eager to have one read me accurately is when/if I like them, not necessarily for the purpose of having a relationship with them. E.g. there's someone at work who I wouldn't mind guessing me out. Just in case it has crossed your mind -heck no! Never telling her. Lol

59 minutes ago, Ivyy said:

This right here is one of the reasons I wouldnt rely on a gaydar. The fear of being wrong and all the dramas that would come with it in this country.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, kimi said:

. E.g. there's someone at work who I wouldn't mind guessing me out.

Have you figured out the reason you would want her to guess?

A slight interest on your part or the hidding gets tiring sometimes?

Sometimes it’s stereotyping. Other times, it’s one party or the other giving or getting a “vibe”. I’ve gotten that vibe a number of times mid-conversation. Of course, there is no way to tell if I’m right or wrong and I’ll be the first person to say that my gaydar is  faulty 😁. 

In this case though, stereotyping is not wrong, saves time. That is, for those looking to meet people. 

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Midnighter said:

Have you figured out the reason you would want her to guess?

A slight interest on your part or the hidding gets tiring sometimes?

Hahahaha. Not at all. She reminds me too much of someone I love. So I naturally have a soft spot for her and won't mind her knowing.

I think gayder is a renamed instinct. Many people have higher instincts than others therefore have more accurate detective to cues and clues. 

Whether it is good or bad is mostly dependent on timing and target. 

I'm a useless lesbian. If I should rely on intuition/gaydar, I'd probably die single.

In this case, gaydar could be a good stereotype especially to those who are very good at it. it's saves lots of asses. Lol 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ChazBee said:

I think gayder is a renamed instinct. Many people have higher instincts than others therefore have more accurate detective to cues and clues. 

Whether it is good or bad is mostly dependent on timing and target. 

Instinct! That is another way of looking at it. 

9 hours ago, Gimbiyya said:

I'm a useless lesbian. If I should rely on intuition/gaydar, I'd probably die single.

Lmaoooooo. You really cant be as terrible as I am. 

Yup, it is stereotyping mostly but it works when it does because life makes sure to always leave clues.

For instance , I was shocked when someone told us that a lot of queer ladies loved being nude as kids and it follows some of them into adulthood. 

Somehow, a lot of queer ladies tend to be athletic by nature and mostly have an analytical / logical mind . Rough playing kinda girls, playing / fighting upandan with the boys, preferring certain types of toys.... Clues. 

Anyways, my gaydar's engine has knocked. But the few times it works, it works well.... Basically I look at mannerisms and body language a lot. If the lady has even a trace of masculinity, no matter how subtle, I will pick it. But if she's completely feminine presenting, wahala dey. 

Personally, there's only one successful way to find me out and that's my eyes. My gaze can be rather intense. So I just don't look into peoples eyes as often as I can avoid it.

41 minutes ago, dequeen said:

Yup, it is stereotyping mostly but it works when it does because life makes sure to always leave clues.

For instance , I was shocked when someone told us that a lot of queer ladies loved being nude as kids and it follows some of them into adulthood. 

Somehow, a lot of queer ladies tend to be athletic by nature and mostly have an analytical / logical mind . Rough playing kinda girls, playing / fighting upandan with the boys, preferring certain types of toys.... Clues. 

Anyways, my gaydar's engine has knocked. But the few times it works, it works well.... Basically I look at mannerisms and body language a lot. If the lady has even a trace of masculinity, no matter how subtle, I will pick it. But if she's completely feminine presenting, wahala dey. 

Personally, there's only one successful way to find me out and that's my eyes. My gaze can be rather intense. So I just don't look into peoples eyes as often as I can avoid it.

Hahahahaha! I can relate with going nude as a kid.. 

I used to run around the house topless, and my mum would always scold me and tell me to put on clothes. 

Another thing I did alot while growing up was sitting carelessly. I could never keep my legs closed.till date, I still struggle with that, reason I prefer pants to skirts and gowns most time. 

• Haha 1

I've found that most very feminine lesbians are very touchy feely especially if they are interested in you and seeing as am a little butch_y I let them touch until the time is right then I cope a feel and if she says go ahead then you know the rest can be bliss-filled history,lol😝😝

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Stnunus said:

I've found that most very feminine lesbians are very touchy feely 

Feminine lesbians do you agree? 

• Like 1

Just now, kimi said:

Feminine lesbians do you agree? 

I will also like to know the answer to this one. 

2 hours ago, dequeen said:

For instance , I was shocked when someone told us that a lot of queer ladies loved being nude as kids and it follows some of them into adulthood

Wow, i did not know this. I am a huge nudist. The highlight of my day is getting home and getting naked. 

• Like 1