Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Sexual orientation vs Romantic orientation

Keke

And yet more definitions and more labels. There are so many terms now; your head could literally burst if you do labels.
So I felt it was just "sexual orientations", then I found out we had "romantic orientations" as well and that they are quite distinct. Same way gender identity is distinct from sexual orientation.
Meaning you can be hetero-romantic, bi-romantic, and homo-romantic the same way that you can be heterosexual, bisexual, and homosexual. However, the thing about these classifications is that they can be mixed:

1. Heterosexual Bi-romantic:

One could be open to have sex with any gender (sexual orientation) but not open to fall in love or be in a romantic relationship with any gender (romantic orientation).  Eg. I can have sex with either gender just for sexual fulfilment but have the desire to spend the rest of my life loving only one of either gender (male or female.

2. Bisexual Bi-romantic:

One could be open to have sex with any gender (sexual orientation) and also open to fall in love or be in a romantic relationship with any gender (romantic orientation). Eg. I can have sex with both male and female and also able to spend the rest of my life together and in love with either depending on who makes me happy at that point.

In a nutshell, for many people, their sexual orientation and romantic orientation may align. For some, they may be different. 🤷 
N.B. And all this is assuming that romance and sex are not on the same continuum.

I see the romantic orientation part as majorely influenced by society and culture. I mean if you can have sex with a particular gender, why the hell can't you fall in love or spend the rest of your life with that gender?

In as much as I find this quite laughable, I see some sense in it.

• Moderators

Looool. Seems to me like these labels are simply developed in a bid to accommodate people's desires to be fluid. Truth is adults don't need to justify their sexual/romantic preferences to anyone *sighs* 

You're right. These labels can drive one mad; rather exhausting. Especially those 👆🏽 lol. Smh

23 minutes ago, kimi said:

Seems to me like these labels are simply developed in a bid to accommodate people's desires to be fluid. 

Yeah, each time a new desire comes up, a new label comes up.

25 minutes ago, kimi said:

These labels can drive one mad; rather exhausting. Especially those 👆🏽 lol. Smh

It took me a while to dissociate one from the other in my head 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keke said:

1. Heterosexual Bi-romantic:

One could be open to have sex with any gender (sexual orientation) but not open to fall in love or be in a romantic relationship with any gender (romantic orientation).  Eg. I can have sex with either gender just for sexual fulfilment but have the desire to spend the rest of my life loving only one of either gender (male or female.

This is confusing to me. I thought heterosexual means being attracted to opposite gender alone. 

Lawd!! Labels are so tiring. Adults should just do whatever they want sexually and consensually without need for explanation. 

I am tired of cramming labels jo, sheesh. 

9 hours ago, Gimbiyya said:

This is confusing to me. I thought heterosexual means being attracted to opposite gender alone. 

Lol, you go dey all right. They want to restrict heterosexual to "being in a romantic relationship with" not generally being attracted. So someone can be able to have sex with same sex, but because they can't be with you in a relationship they are still heterosexual.

Just like Changing the definition of marriage.we just wanna keep getting confused that's all.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Midnighter said:

Lawd!! Labels are so tiring. Adults should just do whatever they want sexually and consensually without need for explanation. 

I am tired of cramming labels jo, sheesh. 

Tor

Honestly can we just say bisexual and be done with it? Cos I don't get how this is any different from the initial meaning of bisexuality...