Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Are you dating a mentally distressed person?

Keke

Three Major misconceptions about mental health in Nigeria:

1. Seeing a shrink is Oyibo behavior.

2. Mental disorder is when you are roaming the streets naked.

3. Mental disorder is a curse, sign of evil spirits and a shame to one's generation.

Thus, mentally imbalanced people run their day to day life like everything is alright and become potential harm to orders physically and mentally. They get in a relationship and fall in love all without addressing their mental issues until we hear stories of domestic violence and spousal killings.

The most occurring mental disorder which affects relationships is delusional disorder.

"Delusional disorder, previously called paranoid disorder, is a type of serious mental illness called a "psychosis" in which a person cannot tell what is real from what is imagined. The main feature of this disorder is the presence of delusions, unshakable beliefs in something untrue or not based on reality... People with delusional disorder often can continue to socialize and function normally, apart from the subject of their delusion, and generally do not behave in an obviously odd or bizarre manner." - WebMD 

What does this result in?

Extreme Jealousy: A person with this type of delusional disorder believes that his or her spouse or sexual partner is unfaithful.-WebMd

Ring a bell? They get so jealous over imaginery things they begin to check your phones, monitor and time your calls, follow you, restrict your movement etc.

Persecutory: People with this type of delusional disorder believe that they are being mistreated ...-WebMD

They interprete everything into mistreatment. You are busy with work? You don't wanna talk to them. You have loss of appetite? You are rejecting their food to punish them. You get angry at their plenty issues? You have been building up to this anger because you need to be mad at them.

My advice:

Get them to find help if not, leave.

• Upvote 2

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, dreamgal said:

Na wa o. So i dey craze since and i didn't know. 

Hahahahaha. You are just a hilarious somebody. 

Very true, get them to find help. That is, assuming they realize they have a problem and they are willing to get help for the right reasons. If not, leave. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Damiee said:

Very true, get them to find help. That is, assuming they realize they have a problem and they were willing to get help for the right reasons. If not, leave. 

#word

On 17/04/2018 at 5:58 PM, Keke said:

Extreme Jealousy: A person with this type of delusional disorder believes that his or her spouse or sexual partner is unfaithful.-WebMd

Ring a bell? They get so jealous over imaginery things they begin to check your phones, monitor and time your calls, follow you, restrict your movement etc.

Persecutory: People with this type of delusional disorder believe that they are being mistreated ...-WebMD

They interprete everything into mistreatment. You are busy with work? You don't wanna talk to them. You have loss of appetite? You are rejecting their food to punish them. You get angry at their plenty issues? You have been building up to this anger because you need to be mad at them.

I lot of people believe this is the exhibition of "love". This is just toxic. 

I absolutely agree that if they dont decide to seek help, leave as fast as you can wear your shoes. Life is to short to be unhappy over what you can actually control. 

1 hour ago, Midnighter said:

I absolutely agree that if they dont decide to seek help, leave as fast as you can wear your shoes. Life is to short to be unhappy over what you can actually control. 

Hahahahaha! 

I wouldn't even bother putting on my shoes, I would run as fast as I can, shoes in hand. 

22 hours ago, Midnighter said:

I'm not surprised. I know someone who feels more love after being beaten up.

On 20/04/2018 at 6:46 PM, Keke said:

I'm not surprised. I know someone who feels more love after being beaten up.

Just imagine the amount of abuse that resulted in this orientation. It is disheartening. 

On 19/04/2018 at 10:05 PM, Ivyy said:

Hahahahaha! 

I wouldn't even bother putting on my shoes, I would run as fast as I can, shoes in hand. 

As in ehn, activation of your inner Bolt.

• 3 months later...

Moderation is key in all things. I have dated both extremes of the jealousy stick (Too jealous and Not a bit jealous) and they were equally appalling. 

On 7/24/2018 at 8:13 PM, dequeen said:

Moderation is key in all things. I have dated both extremes of the jealousy stick (Too jealous and Not a bit jealous) and they were equally appalling. 

😁 so you're saying that just the right amount of jealousy is what you want? 

"not jealous at all" is good for me. jealousy is such a toxic emotion....

In my opinion, if a person requires some moderate amount of jealousy to feel loved or feel the their partner cares, then there might be a problem.

1 minute ago, Modd said:

😁 so you're saying that just the right amount of jealousy is what you want? 

"not jealous at all" is good for me. jealousy is such a toxic emotion....

In my opinion, if a person requires some moderate amount of jealousy to feel loved or feel the their partner cares, then there might be a problem.

I find the right amount of jealousy quite cute. Makes me feel my partner notices me and what I do and who's around me. I don't see a problem with that. 

Someone with no jealousy tendency at all strikes me as a really cold closed-off person. 

16 minutes ago, dequeen said:

Someone with no jealousy tendency at all strikes me as a really cold closed-off person. 

Yepa. 😯