Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Wedding Parties aka Owambe

kimi

• Moderators

What are your thoughts about attending wedding parties. Do you enjoy them? Do you stay away or do you attend out of obligation?

• Moderators

I've never really enjoyed attending owambes of any sort. Lol. I just don't get them. + the whole getting dressed adds to why I would rather stay home in bed 🙄

In recent years, I've grown to not enjoy attending weddings in particular because they make me sad. Lol. Sad because It's a reminder that I am different and cannot have my love/wedding celebrated as publicly as those. 

When I recall that I would be judged by these same people whose weddings I have attended, I am quick to make decisions that put me and my happiness first. 

Lol I have only attended one wedding in my life.. and only cos it's my friend's..but I really like wedding food.. owambe ke!

Ha! How I love owambe. The asoebi, the color, the glamour, the music, the dance, drinks and the food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

The last owambe I went for was somehow. Been years I entered a church (for worship or whatever), so I decided to attend the church service of my friend's wedding when the unimaginable something happened outside the church oo. I was bounced out like kilode gan! The usher said I didn't cover my head, haaaaaa bet I wear cap na!! She said no oo only scarf or gele. I was sha trying to form gentle girl when she handed my friends the wedding program and some envelopes each for money collections, the lion in me jumped up outta anger, I told the woman they could give people envelopes to collect money but couldn't allow me to enter the church abi? That was how I dragged the envelopes from my friends and threw them on the madam's face and left the church angry. 

You can't allow me to enter the church 'cause I wasn't covering my head but you can collect money abi? Kolewerk mehnnn!!!! I wasn't even ready to use any handkerchief, even Jesus himself go still allow me enter the church. 

Me that whenever I attend owambes like that, it's only the reception I attend, wetin consain me consain church na? Told her it wasn't her fault, na because say na my friend dey marry. 

Nonetheless, I love owambe. I am a proud Omo Oodua......

• Haha 2

I only attend weddings of close friends and yes, I enjoy it. Especially cos it gives me an excuse to glam up 😁.

If we are not close, I just buy the aso ebi and keep it moving. 

2 hours ago, Teewhy said:

Ha! How I love owambe. The asoebi, the color, the glamour, the music, the dance, drinks and the food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

The last owambe I went for was somehow. Been years I entered a church (for worship or whatever), so I decided to attend the church service of my friend's wedding when the unimaginable something happened outside the church oo. I was bounced out like kilode gan! The usher said I didn't cover my head, haaaaaa bet I wear cap na!! She said no oo only scarf or gele. I was sha trying to form gentle girl when she handed my friends the wedding program and some envelopes each for money collections, the lion in me jumped up outta anger, I told the woman they could give people envelopes to collect money but couldn't allow me to enter the church abi? That was how I dragged the envelopes from my friends and threw them on the madam's face and left the church angry. 

You can't allow me to enter the church 'cause I wasn't covering my head but you can collect money abi? Kolewerk mehnnn!!!! I wasn't even ready to use any handkerchief, even Jesus himself go still allow me enter the church. 

Me that whenever I attend owambes like that, it's only the reception I attend, wetin consain me consain church na? Told her it wasn't her fault, na because say na my friend dey marry. 

Nonetheless, I love owambe. I am a proud Omo Oodua......

Oduduwa!!! 

Nah weddings aren't my thing. Can't explain why. Probably because I'm extremely introverted. My mom keep singing, "you need to be attending weddings so you can gain experience on how things are done when it's time for yours". 🙄 duh. Through out last year I attended one wedding. This year, I haven't attend any yet. Lol I had similar experience with Teewhy from the last wedding I attended. I was almost bounced too. It was a Catholic church and the people at the gate won't let me go in with my hand bag. I couldn't understand why I can't go in with my bag when all my stuffs are in it. So I asked why. They said that's the rule. It's either I drop my bag or I won't be let in and dropping ones bag there was at owners risk. I was about leaving when the relative of the bride spotted me and ran to me, talked to the people and I was let in. I later realized it was a security measure to prevent explosives from getting into the church. The wedding turned out to be fun-filled. The bride despite being obviously pregnant danced like she was auditioning for a dance show. The church rituals and holy communion thing were all thrilling to me as that was my first time in a Catholic church. 

I dont like owambes and I most especially do not like asoebis either.

Not to be a party pooper but i feel like it is an incredible waste of money. I understand that people can choose to spend their hard earned money anyway they wish but i find it ostentatious. It also puts unnecessary pressure on people who actually bankrupt themselves to throw parties.

I only attend owambe if I have very close relationship with the person throwing the party and attendance is mandatory. 

I have only gone to two wedding parties in my lifetime my sisters, because it was an obligation and I have to be amongst the bridal train.

I loathe weddings, it can be both physically and mentally draining, I don't have that that kind of strength. I'd rather attend burials ceremonies, less drama and pretentiously fake people around to deal with,  you know,  everyone is "sullen" and "mournful" / "reflective about life"?   That I like. 

I have attended more burials than weddings in my life time,  and it's not something I am ashamed of.