Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Suicide Helplines

kimi

• Moderators

This is a bit overdue but as always, better late than never. 

LUTH Support Group Helplines:

The numbers to call are: 09 0 8 0 217555, 09034400009, 08111909909 and 07013811143

Nigeria Suicide Prevention Initiative:

0 8 0 62106493, 0 8 0 92106493

There's no shame in this... please speak to someone. 

• Upvote 2

• kimi pinned this topic
2 hours ago, MENA said:

Nigeria suicide prevention, hmmm!

How does that work? Naija?

You gotta have faith.

• Like 1

Talking about suicide, in the Western world you hear a lot of that than Africa.

Someone not being able to come out or not  allowed to be and then they takes their life.

Someone breaks up with her and she feels she can't life with out her then she takes her own life.

Such stories is hardly heard of here in Africa must especially Naija.

So my question is, is it that Africans don't love enough or they value life too much?

Or is it that the Westerners love too much and have no value for their own life?

Or is it that Africans knows that their Governments doesn't care so they just have to care for their own life?

And on the other hand, is it that the Westerners care too much for their citizens and that's why the suicide rate is higher over there because the citizens care less?

Or is it just a couture thing?

No freedom to love still l haven't heard a  gay person committed suicide in Naija but l have heard people committed suicide because of PMB regime.

So is the all idea of the  Suicide prevention program about PMB coming for second term?

In case people are frustrated and attempting suicide can be prevented?

I don't know is just all crazy:597f8385cda73_tw_glasses1:

On 03/05/2018 at 12:13 PM, MENA said:

So my question is, is it that Africans don't love enough or they value life too much?

Or is it that the Westerners love too much and have no value for their own life?

Or is it that Africans knows that their Governments doesn't care so they just have to care for their own life?

And on the other hand, is it that the Westerners care too much for their citizens and that's why the suicide rate is higher over there because the citizens care less?

Or is it just a couture thing?

No freedom to love still l haven't heard a  gay person committed suicide in Naija but l have heard people committed suicide because of PMB regime.

We are ashamed of suicide in Nigeria. People kill themselves and I have heard cases of families hiding it.

My uncle killed himself two years ago. So I have personal experience with it.

We dont love, care or suffer less than the western world. We just hide our suffering more.

Imagine having everything going for you and being depressed in Nigeria; you feel a special shame because you know people who have it worse. You see suffering around you and you beat yourself up over and over again for daring to be depressed. You cant even share this information, so you hold on to it until you hopefully feel better, or self destruct; alcohol/drugs/sex/risky behaviours is the Nigerian outlet. A lot of people act surprised by the codeine epidemic, I am surprised it did not come sooner.

We all know someone who drinks too much, what are they trying to cope with, lets ask.

If the suicide prevention program is functional, i laud the effort of everyone who put it together.

I dont think it should have anything to do with the PMB regime, this is a difficult country to live in. 

Please implore the at-risk people around you to seek help, just mentioning that it is available without prodding them will work.

Thanks @kimi for this post. 

• Like 2

We have a culture of sucking it up that's why the rate of suicide in this part of the world is less.

Plus we are deeply religious and believe that if we take our life, that's a one way ticket to hell. Mans can't suffer in this world and still now ensure he suffers in the next. Nehhhh...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Midnighter said:

We are ashamed of suicide in Nigeria. People kill themselves and I have heard cases of families hiding it.

We dont love, care or suffer less than the western world. We just hide our suffering more.

Imagine having everything going for you and being depressed in Nigeria; you feel a special shame because you know people who have it worse. You see suffering around you and you beat yourself up over and over again for daring to be depressed. You cant even share this information, so you hold on to it until you hopefully feel better, or self destruct; alcohol/drugs/sex/risky behaviours is the Nigerian outlet. A lot of people act surprised by the codeine epidemic, I am surprised it did not come sooner.

We all know someone who drinks too much, what are they trying to cope with, lets ask.

If the suicide prevention program is functional, i laud the effort of everyone who put it together.

I dont think it should have anything to do with the PMB regime, this is a difficult country to live in. 

Please implore the at-risk people around you to seek help, just mentioning that it is available without prodding them will work.

You made a point. Let me just believe people are hiding it. 

But another thing is l don't see most Nigerians as people that believes in therapy. We believe more on spiritual attack.:597f839311844_tw_grin1:

• 9 months later...
On 5/4/2018 at 4:16 PM, Midnighter said:

This Right here is the Gospel...

Oh @Midnighter! I Hope you are okay...

• Like 1