Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

What Would You Do?

VINA

So let's assume you are a teacher in a primary school where the kids are very impressionable and you have this important topic you ought to teach considering your sexual orientation. 

Topic is about "indecency and Gender roles"

this topic talks down on feminism, on wearing clothes that pertains to a man or a man dressing like a woman and worst of all, rubbishishes homosexuality, calls it the lowest sin ever, compares it to animalism and prescribes steps to avoiding homosexuality and gives primitive ways of correction.

1) would you teach it?

2) if yes how?

3) what other steps would you take?

4) what would be your excuse to the management if called out on not teaching it if u decide to? 

5) how would you feel generally about the topic?

• Moderators

If I were solely dependent on this job and couldn't afford to damn the consequences by doing as I please, then I will do one of two things below:

A. Call in sick on the day of the lecture and have another take me place

B. Turn it to a debate and see the sort of conversations it throws up. Then I will be sure to bring up notable female and male heroes who are still being celebrated across all walks of life -focusing more on how their strengths and how their ability to do things differently has shaped who they are and all they achieved. The afore mentioned would constitute the revamped topic. Either way, by deliberately ommitting a lot of what I consider regressive mindset while focusing their attention on their inner strengths and how limitless they all are would be my approach. That way, It can't be said of me that I have gone against syllabus. 

Knowing myself, it would be more of B for me. I won't pass up an opportunity to shape young minds and fill their hearts with hope.

• Like 1

1) No i wouldn't teach it.

2) I would outrightly refuse to teach it.

3) I would go to the management and tell them that i disagree with the stance the lecture would take.

4) I would attempt to educate them. Weather they listen or not is their business. But if they insist i teach it, i'm going to teach it my own way.

5) Irritated.

• Like 1

1. No, I won't teach it.

3. I just won't teach it. I'll probably do a revision with the class on previous things we've learnt.

4. I'll be blunt to the management. I'll tell them I don't share the same viewpoints on the topic hence ...

5. Amused.

2 hours ago, kimi said:

If I were solely dependent on this job and couldn't afford to damn the consequences by doing as I please, then I will do one of two things below:

A. Call in sick on the day of the lecture and have another take me place

B. Turn it to a debate and see the sort of conversations it throws up. Then I will be sure to bring up notable female and male heroes who are still being celebrated across all walks of life -focusing more on how their strengths and how their ability to do things differently has shaped who they are and all they achieved. The afore mentioned would constitute the revamped topic. Either way, by deliberately ommitting a lot of what I consider regressive mindset while focusing their attention on their inner strengths and how limitless they all are would be my approach. That way, It can't be said of me that I have gone against syllabus. 

Knowing myself, it would be more of B for me. I won't pass up an opportunity to shape young minds and fill their hearts with hope.

I absolutely agree with you.

Turning it into a debate is the best course of action. Just bring logic into it and introduce well researched counter points.

We have to make a living and in an ideal world we can tell management to f***k off however, this is not an ideal world and nothing is fair.

Shaping young minds is a gift, if another person is allowed to take the subject they will probably keep perpetuating those bullshit ideas.

1 minute ago, Midnighter said:

I absolutely agree with you.

Turning it into a debate is the best course of action. Just bring logic into it and introduce well researched counter points.

We have to make a living and in an ideal world we can tell management to f***k off however, this is not an ideal world and nothing is fair.

Shaping young minds is a gift, if another person is allowed to take the subject they will probably keep perpetuating those bullshit ideas.

What if those kids go home and say what they learnt and the parents aren't pleased about what their kids are being taught?? **Considering this are primary school kids**

Nope. I would not teach that topic. I’m sure if teachers stood their ground when I was younger, they’d have filtered most of the nonsense we were taught. I would rather be fired. 

As for telling the management, I’ll speak the truth. It goes against my personal beliefs. They can make of it whatever they want to.

Yeps. Let them fire me. The management doesn't seem to be interested in a debate. Anything you say or do will be seen as the devils work either ways. Both by the school and the parents. So i would rather take it up with the management so they know my stance. Any other thing that follows, "its not as if i didn't tell them".

I don't know what kids of nowadays are like, but how do you want to raise a debate between primary school students though? I mean sure you could, but at that age, are views on matters like the above really their own?

11 hours ago, dequeen said:

What if those kids go home and say what they learnt and the parents aren't pleased about what their kids are being taught?? **Considering this are primary school kids**

It depends on presentation, e.g

1) On gender roles: Females have been set up as the home makers or incapable of learning mathematics/or being engineers or any of the stereotypes.

Provide solid examples and basically turn it into an history lesson of females who did great. 

Thats why i said make it a well researched 

2) On homosexuality: I wouldnt dwell on that topic in class since they are primary school kids. However you can mention that there are different type of people in this world with different sexual interest and although the religions in Nigeria condemn it, there is no scientific understanding on why anyone is attracted to the opposite sex or same sex. Leave it at that.

• Thanks 1

Having made all my points above, here is my additional opinion. 

I am a very opinionated person and there is no person that has come in contact with me who does not know my stance on either religion or homosexuality. This includes my family.

I am privileged that I work in a place where my views will not see me fired and that if i did get fired, I have enough experience to get another job.

However, it is a hard existence in Nigeria. It is especially hard when the majority of the population are stuck in the 18th Century. Those people are our bosses, pastors, friends, neighbours and colleagues. 

It is easy to say let them fire me when you have a form of back up (either family or friends) or ability to get another job or have no one reliant on you for their next meal (kids/siblings and responsibilities that come with them). It is easy to say f***k them if you have never had to live as a homeless person or living with abusive relatives that make your life hell.

- When this particular job is your last/only option,

- When desperation is present,

- When you have no obvious alternatives,

- When you dont live in a metropolitan city (with possible like minds),

- When you have to watch how you speak;

These are the plights of real people that exist amongst us.

So definitely I will not advise taking it up with your management if you are in any of the situations above. We all have to make a living and survive.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Midnighter said:

Having made all my points above, here is my additional opinion. 

I am a very opinionated person and there is no person that has come in contact with me who does not know my stance on either religion or homosexuality. This includes my family.

I am privileged that I work in a place where my views will not see me fired and that if i did get fired, I have enough experience to get another job.

However, it is a hard existence in Nigeria. It is especially hard when the majority of the population are stuck in the 18th Century. Those people are our bosses, pastors, friends, neighbours and colleagues. 

It is easy to say let them fire me when you have a form of back up (either family or friends) or ability to get another job or have no one reliant on you for their next meal (kids/siblings and responsibilities that come with them). It is easy to say f***k them if you have never had to live as a homeless person or living with abusive relatives that make your life hell.

- When this particular job is your last/only option,

- When desperation is present,

- When you have no obvious alternatives,

- When you dont live in a metropolitan city (with possible like minds),

- When you have to watch how you speak;

These are the plights of real people that exist amongst us.

So definitely I will not advise taking it up with your management if you are in any of the situations above. We all have to make a living and survive.

#Word

So from the points above, there's no winning this one. If the teacher strays from the manuscript, she gets in trouble. If she takes it up with management, very likely gets in trouble. And if she gives the lecture as it should be, well... Bile.

So it boils down to what you hold dear. Your neck? Or impacting positively on the kids?

Meanwhile, it behooves me that in 2018 there are schools still teaching such yamayama.

3 hours ago, Hawken said:

So from the points above, there's no winning this one. If the teacher strays from the manuscript, she gets in trouble. If she takes it up with management, very likely gets in trouble. And if she gives the lecture as it should be, well... Bile.

So it boils down to what you hold dear. Your neck? Or impacting positively on the kids?

Meanwhile, it behooves me that in 2018 there are schools still teaching such yamayama.

Lmao! Hawken i admire your passion. But mehn, some things require compromise And some situations are just too sensitive. 

I remember parents withdrew their kids because there were allegations that one of my friends who taught in the same school as I was gay. Even though she wore skirts, it was obvious from the way she walked, like a guy so i dont know how the gist got out and long story short, she was given a sack letter. The heading was "sack based on your sexual orientation".

funny thing is i bad pass the girl for lele marra but i am a femme so of course I am the perfect image of a good 'normal' girl.

Well, how did i handle it?

once i searched for the topic from the textbook, i was vexed in my spirit. I was seething with anger.

i kept screaming 'bullshit' at intervals.

wtf!!! Who would reason so low to write this nonsense?? I kept asking myself and it wasn't a matter for contemplating, i just knew that i wouldn't teach it, even if a gun was held to my head, so i skipped it and ignored it like it never existed. Ahhhhh, the world was right again.

as for the management, they didn't find out as i covered up with the next topic but if they had found out, i would have acted all innocent and promised to cover up for it but i never would have.

ps: all your contributions were amazing, there is never just one way to solve a problem. 

34 minutes ago, vina said:

So i skipped it and ignored it like it never existed. Ahhhhh, the world was right again.

as for the management, they didn't find out as i covered up with the next topic but if they had found out, i would have acted all innocent and promised to cover up for it but i never would have.

ps: all your contributions were amazing, there is never just one way to solve a problem. 

So you could have ignored it and you just allowed mans to be talking like this? I thought it was mandatory or something. *giving you the dirty side eye*

49 minutes ago, vina said:

The heading was "sack based on your sexual orientation".

Eheeen. Is it a private school please? Ha. In America, payday for her *cries in missed opportunities*

6 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Eheeen. Is it a private school please? Ha. In America, payday for her *cries in missed opportunities*

Lmao. Private yes!!

pay day nope! According to the director, friend was lucky the popo werent called on her.

14years wouldn't look pretty on any one man.  But i get your point, juicy courtcase which would have birthed a healthy sum of compensations.

8 minutes ago, vina said:

Lmao. Private yes!!

pay day nope! According to the director, friend was lucky the popo werent called on her.

14years wouldn't look pretty on any one man.  But i get your point, juicy courtcase which would have birthed a healthy sum of compensations.

Ok, no. I absolutely refuse. Was she caught in the act with a student or teacher? Any pictures in circulation? Messages perhaps? Anything that even remotely proves that shes gay?

Dear Lord continue to protect me from discrimination, because Lord knows i would be in the news by now.

How do you terminate somebody based on suspicions?? And then calling the police?? On what grounds?? That i f***ked your mother?? The f***king madness that is this country.

The girl must have felt so bad... I can't even imagine.

I would f***king drag you and the name of your school through dirt.

At the very least, next time, you will look well before you hire.

Like, the proprietor or proprietress or whatever fancy name they are called these days would pay through his/her nostrils... 

In a civilized country that is.. 

What manner of f*ckery? Sacked on mere allegations of being gay? Well, except the school management has video evidence.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hawken said:

Ok, no. I absolutely refuse. Was she caught in the act with a student or teacher? Any pictures in circulation? Messages perhaps? Anything that even remotely proves that shes gay?

Dear Lord continue to protect me from discrimination, because Lord knows i would be in the news by now.

How do you terminate somebody based on suspicions?? And then calling the police?? On what grounds?? That i f***ked your mother?? The f***king madness that is this country.

The girl must have felt so bad... I can't even imagine.

I would f***king drag you and the name of your school through dirt.

At the very least, next time, you will look well before you hire.

She was really down. I was outraged when i heard.

the effrontery and the sureness sef weak me. They typed it boldly as though she had been caught in the act and her meekness in collecting the letter without argument or fuss sef was another sore point for both of us. 

It would seem as though she was frolicking with another teacher sha but still, whats the evidence? 

My dear forget matter eeeeee, luckily enough she got a job a week after.

even last week, a male ex colleague from the school chatted me up and was telling me the gist. I pretended that i didnt know. He was like "___ was sacked o, she was accused of having girl girl thing with -----"  and all this and more is one reason why i dont even bring my inner hoe to work with me. 

Work is work and my alter ego is not allowed to come out and play at work.

7 hours ago, vina said:

It would seem as though she was frolicking with another teacher sha but still, whats the evidence? 

My dear forget matter eeeeee, luckily enough she got a job a week after.

Work is work and my alter ego is not allowed to come out and play at work.

Well, thank God shes got another job. I bet that other teacher snitched or told someone she wasn't supposed to. I'm sure shes a femme 🙄

On a nicer note, my alter ego (who is an honest, God fearing, faithful person 😶 ) played at work and got rewarded. Met bae at work and since then its been smooth sailing 😃😃😃

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/16/2018 at 7:31 AM, Hawken said:

Well, thank God shes got another job. I bet that other teacher snitched or told someone she wasn't supposed to. I'm sure shes a femme 🙄

On a nicer note, my alter ego (who is an honest, God fearing, faithful person 😶 ) played at work and got rewarded. Met bae at work and since then its been smooth sailing 😃😃😃

Femmes suffer o. She say she sure say na femme. She was a femme though.

Awwwnnnnn