Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

What do you think about homosexuality been described as a choice? Do people turn gay because of past experiences?

Excellent

During my short stay at work yesterday, a colleague greeted me with the news of a gay man who slept with a child barely 2. I expressed my dissatisfaction and added that he should be thrown to the hellish part of a prison. For goodness sake, that was grotty!! .

He continued with an argument that people like him are the reason the gay community is on the rise.(well, he dislikes homosexuals and didn't know that I'm one). To him, people eventually turn gay because they were lured into homosexuality especially at early years. 

I objected, I started with the narrative that people don't turn rapist because they were raped in the past and that being gay is not just a practice. 

I've always linked homosexuality to genetics despite having no significantly great knowledge to back it up. Apparently, a lot of people do not believe that a single gene or genes can make a person gay. Dean Hamer, a molecular biologist was  first to offer a direct evidence of a 'Gay gene' by identifying a stretch on the X chromosome likely associated with homosexuality but subsequent studies called his findings into question.  

To many, any genetic predictions probably interact with environmental factors that influence development of a sexual orientation. 

Now tell me, what do you think is the root of homosexuality... Gene, lifestyle choice, past experiences,environmental factors etc... Combination of two, three or more? 

#Do.have.you.say. 

• Like 1

I really cannot explain it. 

It's like trying to find out why a cub would never be attracted to grass, no matter how you try to introduce grass to it. Some people are allergic to all kinds of stuffs, some grow up hating certain foods.

When it comes to my sexuality I don't want to even analyze it. I like women, I don't give a f***k about what made me so, I just am..

• Moderators

When I first saw this topic, truth is that i also didn't know how to approach it.

I used to try to analyze this when I was much younger but not anymore. I realized that it simply couldn't be figured out. I am comfortable not knowing a 100% but have come to accept the soul theories as sufficient. 

On 7/1/2018 at 6:25 PM, vina said:

I really cannot explain it. 

It's like trying to find out why a cub would never be attracted to grass, no matter how you try to introduce grass to it. Some people are allergic to all kinds of stuffs, some grow up hating certain foods.

When it comes to my sexuality I don't want to even analyze it. I like women, I don't give a f***k about what made me so, I just am..

For me, I'd like to have at least a faint knowledge of everything that concerns me. Apart from being gay, there are many other things that I am. i.e human, procrastinator etc. I also try to find out why I avoid some foods and crave others.

In as much as no one deserves to know my sexuality, I believe that there are people in a position to be supportive as I move through the world, a world that is still heteronormative even in the most cosmopolitan and progressive of places. I owe them thesis and theories and telling them that 'I just am' will be unsound. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2018 at 6:44 PM, kimi said:

When I first saw this topic, truth is that i also didn't know how to approach it.

I used to try to analyze this when I was much younger but not anymore. I realized that it simply couldn't be figured out. I am comfortable not knowing a 100% but have come to accept the soul theories as sufficient. 

I'm not trying to to ascertain the elements or nature of homosexuality. I want to know what others also think about it.

There have been so many studies,  lectures and researches that have been delivered on the subject matter though they are not 100% justifiable. 

And please share your soul theories with me 😂

😀 I was going to ask @kimi about those soul theories also. I'm curious to know.

Maybe we are born this way, maybe we change along the way. Someone once tried to explain something about it to me, he called queers "distorted souls". If I knew a post like this would be on NL, I might have paid acute attention to him but alas I didn't know, so while he explained, I was on a trip within my mind trying to figure out how hot the cell in hell I will be cast into will be and if truly I could smuggle an AC into hell and then how payments for smuggled items will be received, cash or kind?? I dunno.... 

7 hours ago, dequeen said:

Maybe we are born this way, maybe we change along the way. Someone once tried to explain something about it to me, he called queers "distorted souls". If I knew a post like this would be on NL, I might have paid acute attention to him but alas I didn't know, so while he explained, I was on a trip within my mind trying to figure out how hot the cell in hell I will be cast into will be and if truly I could smuggle an AC into hell and then how payments for smuggled items will be received, cash or kind?? I dunno.... 

Payment for smuggling items will definitely be in kind. Be prepared to pay heavily 😂😂

I may be there to receive my part of the proceed. 

• Moderators
8 hours ago, dequeen said:

Hahahaha. Go jor. You believe in hell? Hmmm... 🙄

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Excellent said:

I'm not trying to to ascertain the elements or nature of homosexuality. I want to know what others also think about it.

There have been so many studies,  lectures and researches that have been delivered on the subject matter though they are not 100% justifiable. 

And please share your soul theories with me 😂

Hahahahaha. Payment before service please -and I don't come cheap. Lol

I think homosexuality can be a choice. Same with heterosexuality.

And i believe a lot of interactions can influence your sexuality. I don't really understand how anyone is born gay or straight. I think the child was born with a blank mind and the ability to form an emotional bond with both genders. And as you grow older you realize which gender you have a stronger connection with and feel more comfortable with.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, dreamgal said:

And i believe a lot of interactions can influence your sexuality. I don't really understand how anyone is born gay or straight. I think the child was born with a blank mind and the ability to form an emotional bond with both genders. And as you grow older you realize which gender you have a stronger connection with and feel more comfortable with.

There you go @dreamgal, quite insightful. 

9 hours ago, kimi said:

Hahahahaha. Payment before service please -and I don't come cheap. Lol

😂😂 Name your price..

15 hours ago, Excellent said:

Payment for smuggling items will definitely be in kind. Be prepared to pay heavily 😂😂

I may be there to receive my part of the proceed. 

Hahahaha, 😂 naughty naughty! If you help me smuggle in the AC, I'll have them transfer you to purgatory where you will be sentenced to make love to 100 sexually insatiable goddesses for a thousand years. Now how's that for an 'in kind' payment?? 😎

14 hours ago, kimi said:

Hahahaha. Go jor. You believe in hell? Hmmm... 🙄

😁😁😁 As certainly as I believe in tooth fairies and santa claus , elfs and unicorns!!

• Haha 1

I'm a very curious person. I've been exploring all the possible reasons why I feel this sharp sensational feeling down my p**sy at the sight of round perking boobs, fine curvy ass, soft tender olive or chocolate skin... Why I'm attracted to girls. At first I was curious because I thought these feelings aren't normal.

I realized almost all the reflexes involved in sex and sexual attraction deeply embedded in the autonomic nervous system over which we have little or no direct conscious control.

Homosexual desires and and attractions are just as much under autonomic (i.e. non-voluntary) control as are heterosexual desires and attractions.

Gene, choice, lifestyle, environmental factors, past experiences... Probably. We can't rule all these out but only if these same factors also apply to heterosexual desires and attractions. 

• Like 1

@dequeen no need smuggling in AC. All the finest scientists will be there. They will convert all that molten magma like heat energy to great use even heaven occupants will go green with envy. Eternity is a long time to stay idle 😂😂

45 minutes ago, Gimbiyya said:

@dequeen no need smuggling in AC. All the finest scientists will be there. They will convert all that molten magma like heat energy to great use even heaven occupants will go green with envy. Eternity is a long time to stay idle 😂😂

Indeed!!! 😂😂😂😁

15 hours ago, dreamgal said:

Wow.....A very interesting angle to look at things from......

10 hours ago, dequeen said:

Hahahaha, 😂 naughty naughty! If you help me smuggle in the AC, I'll have them transfer you to purgatory where you will be sentenced to make love to 100 sexually insatiable goddesses for a thousand years. Now how's that for an 'in kind' payment?? 😎

100 is too little for thousand years nah. What happened to 1000 i.e one goddess every day.  Oh no, 100 is totally unacceptable to me. Try another means of 'in kind' payment please. I really can't deal.😛

2 hours ago, Gimbiyya said:

I'm a very curious person. I've been exploring all the possible reasons why I feel this sharp sensational feeling down my p**sy at the sight of round perking boobs, fine curvy ass, soft tender olive or chocolate skin... Why I'm attracted to girls. At first I was curious because I thought these feelings aren't normal.

I realized almost all the reflexes involved in sex and sexual attraction deeply embedded in the autonomic nervous system over which we have little or no direct conscious control.

Homosexual desires and and attractions are just as much under autonomic (i.e. non-voluntary) control as are heterosexual desires and attractions.

Gene, choice, lifestyle, environmental factors, past experiences... Probably. We can't rule all these out but only if these same factors also apply to heterosexual desires and attractions. 

I love this one

"we can't rule all these factors out but only if they apply to heterosexual desires and attractions". 

Well done @Gimbiyya

16 hours ago, dreamgal said:

This hanty will just reason from another corner and then just blow my small mind.

Even though I still have a problem with the tabular Rasa analogy of man, I still believe that ultimately choice plays a part. 

I am in lust with the way you think (yeh!!! Who slapped me? Na joke o, dodges slap)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, vina said:

This hanty will just reason from another corner and then just blow my small mind.

Even though I still have a problem with the tabular Rasa analogy of man, I still believe that ultimately choice plays a part. 

I am in lust with the way you think (yeh!!! Who slapped me? Na joke o, dodges slap)

Hahaha werey

I'm blushing 

• 2 months later...
On 7/2/2018 at 11:38 PM, dequeen said:

Hahahahaha

• 3 months later...