Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

"She called me woman"_My thoughts on.

Guest D.B.S

Guest D.B.S

Would have loved to put this in the story section but well am out here now for a break..

Have you read this book? Anyway, am currently reading it and learning so much and so thought to share..

"I wouldn't put a word on my identity it's just something I do" I started here because this is so like me, labling ain't a style

To start with, this chapter of this book got my head running in a frenzy, it gave me the damn chill.. you know I thought about how families could be so callous sometimes..enough to abandon their own and throw them away all in a bid to be seen as normal.. but then this is how hard life can be when you are a Nigerian homosexual living in Nigeria. When I read about M and her girlfriend,I was so sad, I really prayed they get the help they need and that there would be an NGO ready to help people in that kind of situation. That others would look at them as humans and that they shouldn't be ashamed to ask for help or to help. So many things went running through my mind at the time.. the fact that you can't love someone you want to love, in your own way, must be a strong one to deal with...but maybe if you can learn to settle with one person and try to get a life with them, I mean if you have it stapled at the back of your mind that your relationship has no future, you'd be more prone to going out and around hurting people for fun instead, why not decide on being with the person you truly want and try building a future with her, in reality no one get's hurt from trying but giving up before you even start never saves anyone..

And feeling like the worst person in the universe is a thing we all have experienced, hating yourself and wishing you were born perfect, better than you see yourself now is something that I can tell you we've all felt like at some point in our lives.. the fact is you are never alone and you are not wrong. You just have deep amazing feelings of affection like everyone else and it is really okay..

Then again, the idea of having so many kids you cannot afford to take care of I don't know how on earth it come into Nigeria.. the rush, the hush, a culture that run quiet deep like the waters but only in our veins.. The idea of am 30 and single and no kids. scares poo out of many Nigerians.. C'mon life is not all about marriage and kids okay.. you represent something greater than that, you represent you.. rather than having 30kids and unable to feed them just don't please make any more babies, we are enough already.. imagine 170million and counting..

"People do not rape others, keep quiet".. God! 

I got nauseated just reading this chapter.. I really don't like this particular mentality of some northern muslims and child marriage (Just know that I'm not discriminating)
Even one gal took medication and died, many does.. Homosexuals are known to have a high rate of suicidal deaths in the world, with all the hates I mean, who doesn't want to be accepted. But these days I am beginning to ask myself if it's worth it all, you know being 'normal' is it worth all these callousness.. this coldness inflicted to yet another human in the name of religion..
The truth is sometimes to get through in life, all you need do is believe in yourself, appreciate yourself a little bit more, as long as you are not a cold hypocritical bigot in the name of religion you even do not adhere to, you are a beautiful somebody. And it'd be nice if homosexuals don't hate on themselves too.. or hurt each other by playing meaningless games with someone's good intentions.

In the end, the desire should be to be yourself and be responsible. It's all so easy for someone to say, "he is no good because he is gay or she is being this way cos she is lesbian" Keep in mind that a single act of your negativity defines a majority of people who you may not even know. When you work hard to be diligent, your name then will define you, people will know you by your name and not care much about your sexual orientation(s) or feelings. The goal is to do your best in being good.. and am so sorry.. am so sorry that I was so homophobic even while admiring women.. I and you, we all are a product of stigmatization.. but still as we grow, we eventually make our choices. I stand with love, with all of you.. 

Btw am I the only one who sees nothing with have you eaten? Lol
And the ex saga.. lol it's a she and the awkward pardon? I kinda like it when people are bold enough to be honest like that.. though it can be hard at times..and what they say about 'it takes one to know one' sometimes that thing is true to an extent o

Lastly straight people do not only hate it when when you make a compliment to them but some typically take it to the high heavens, thinking that you are interested in them because you tell then you like women, this part really,I find very irritating.. also it's funny how some family members think that you can not swing the other side sexually, well because you always dressed like a guy, play soccer.. do guy stuff from early days.. like really? it's not like having those feelings begins at a later time in life nah.. but then that's the thing with humans right? Everyone else has flaws but us..

Still reading..will update as I go.

#stay safe everyone!👌

Guest Someone

Note: I didn't read through everything, just skimmed through. It's too long to read.

However, I did read the part about "that's one thing with being a homosexual in Nigeria". I don't think it's just in Nigeria. This thing is everywhere. Even in the countries where it is supposedly legal now, they still face homophobia, the only difference is that there's a law protecting the rights of the queer folks.

That aside, there's a lot going on in this world that we have no idea about. Books and the media gets us connected and we get to be aware of what's going on.

Thanks for sharing.

Stay safe too👌