Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Human Billboards

kimi

• Moderators

Just this morning I saw quite a good number of young boys wearing jerseys while holding up the premier league billboards. A DSTV sponsored ad. For some reason, it didn't sit well with me. I am also aware that this isn't peculiar to Lagos as this is done in other parts of the world as well.

What are you thoughts on human billboards? 

• Moderators

I have mixed feelings really but I didnt like it. It came across as some form of exploitation even while I know the guys will be paid and would most certainly be pleased with the extra thousands they'll cash in. 

I just felt upset on their behalf at the circumstances surrounding the whole thing

As long as they are being paid. But thing is, how much were they paid? I guess thats where exploitation comes in. A billboard advert doesnt come cheap, and of course, they capitalized on the fact that people are hungry and would jump at any job that can pay few hundreds.

They just saved themselves some money. I wont be suprised if they argue that its their own way of creating jobs for Nigerians..😂 Hey....

5 minutes ago, vina said:

For the right price ehn, charle I will even take off my clothes and let them brand me. 

Come and take off your clothes lemme brand you.

Sadly the greater percentage of the labour force here are underemployed, underpaid and exploited. Be it white-collar, blue-collar, human billboard... 

3 hours ago, Ivyy said:

Come and take off your clothes lemme brand you.

Father lawd gawd of blood of Zechariah holy water Mary!!! 

Chei!!!! Archbishop we need a tanker of your holy water to sanitize this place after this sentence.

#flys fence speaking in deep tongues!!

I’ve seen this and it makes no sense to me lol. Exploitation aside, the brands that do it probably think they are saving loads of money and they are not because at the end of the day, they get way less impressions and have just wasted good money. Better to do a lamppost ad if it’s a tight budget than this. 

I feel bad for the people that do it. Sadly, times are hard and people have to make money to survive. To each his/her hustle...