Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

You and me both

Hipstar

Small eyes peered back at me through the full-length dressing mirror. I didn’t like what I saw, ‘too dressed up’ she would surely think so, I cooed to myself. I stooped, slipped both hands under the black bodycon dress and pulled it off me. I flung it to the bed where a red hip hugging knee-length skirt laid alongside a white chiffon top and blue jumpsuit, all of which I had tried on and taken off after deciding I would look too dressed up in them. At this point, it dawned on me that the contents of my wardrobe needed a total refurbishment, it was the only consolation I could give to my indecisiveness.   
After three more clothes donned and pulled off, I finally settled for a black slim-flare full length pant and multicoloured sleeveless crop top, ‘aha! this is more like it’. In no time, I was out of the house heading to the agreed meeting point. 
Because I took a motorcycle down to the venue, I made a conscious effort to fluff my hair which was now all over my face. ‘Damn!’ I cursed while inwardly making a solemn promise to buy a car with the first real money I come upon. By now, I knew she was running out of patience given the three calls I deliberately missed from her, so as I hurried towards the Republic of Chicken, I quickly noted that I was a bit nervous. What is wrong with you Itohan, get your head in the game and quit acting like a scared virgin. 
My breathing had intensified, I wasn’t feeling any better, this is not good, suddenly, a brilliant thought took flight, I retrieved my phone from my hand bag and dialled Momsi’s digits. She answered on the second ring and heaving a sigh of relief, I walked into the eatery while talking to my mom about an irrelevant matter on the phone.
There she was, sitting in a corner searching the faces of customers walking into the eatery. I noticed her first and made towards her. She smiled and my heart melted when i noted her blue eyes. I knew they were lenses but damn! They suit her so well. I quickly decided that I would ask her to never take them off when we eventually start seeing each other.
I mouthed, “I’m sorry” as I took a seat opposite her and continued with my phone call. That was my chance to study her flamboyant façade so I ran my eyes from her hair locked in dread to her blue eyes again, we held our gaze for a second and I continued to her lips covered in red, down to her full blown chest, I let my eyes rest there for a while before going down to her stomach where the rest of her body became invisible from the obstruction of the table between us.  
Assessment done, I dismissed Momsi with the promise to call her back, and turned to Brume, “hi” I said, with a smile planted on my pretty face. Oh yes! I am a good looking woman in her late twenties, you can’t tell me nothing about my looks.
“hey” she said
“Sorry I had to take that call, it was my mom” 
“It’s fine” she replied
“Why aren’t you eating yet?”
“I was waiting for you”
Aww! That’s sweet, “Okay, let’s go order something”. We ordered moin moin and chicken plus coke.   
“Is Maya your real name?” she asked
“errm” my cheeks were flushed knowing fully well that it would be impossible to keep up with that lie now that we are meeting face to face. “No, my name is Itohan”
“Did you have to lie about your name?”
“I dunno, guess I just wasn’t sure we were ever going to finally take the conversation off the social media”
“Oh well, it’s just a name you know.”
“I know. Sorry I lied”
So, we chatted while we ate and soon, it was time for me to leave as I had somewhere else to go from there.
Brume and I walked out of the eatery, we bade our goodbyes and walked in opposite directions.
As I rode in a bus towards the Island, a tremor of uncertainty lurched in my guts. It was a pleasant date, but somehow, I had a feeling that was going to be our first and last meeting. It didn’t seem like she liked me as much as I liked her. 
“Please God, make her see me again,” I prayed.

And she's back. Biko more!!!! 

I really do love the flow of your stories. You're just getting even better. Don't keep me waiting too long Nne.