Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

The Nigeria of my dreams

dequeen

As we celebrate Nigeria's independence from freedom and 58 years of it's signed contract into confusion, stupidity, hatred,  foolishness and especially slavery, let us take a moment to envision the Nigeria of our dreams.

What does the Nigeria of your dreams look like??

Excerpt from Chinelo Okparanta's Under the Udala tree :-

"She molds her body around mine and whispers in my ear about a town where love is allowed to be love, between men and women, and men and men, and women and women, just as between Yoruba and Igbo and Hausa and Fulani. Ndidi describes the town, all its trees and all the colors of its sand. She tells me in great detail about the roads, the directions in which they run, from where and to where they lead.
“What is the name of the town?” I ask.
Sleep threatens to overtake her, and sometimes she forgets that she does not want to say a name. One night, she mumbles that it is Aba. The next night it is Umuahia. With each passing night she names more towns: Ojoto and Nnewi, Onitsha and Nsukka, Port Harcourt and Lagos, Uyo and Oba, Kaduna and Sokoto. She names and names, so that eventually I have to laugh and say, “How is it that this town can be so many places at once?”
Her voice is soft like a hum, and the words come out quiet like a prayer. She is older now. Both of us are. The years have flown by, and there is an aged roughness to her voice. She says, “All of them are here in Nigeria. You see, this place will be all of Nigeria
."

The above is one of my many dreams for Nigeria...

The others are loading....

• Moderators
5 hours ago, dequeen said:

What does the Nigeria of your dreams look like??

It would be one similar to wakanda 🙄.  A self-sufficient nation.

The Nigeria of my dreams is where humans actually have rights and can exercise them without fear of any kind.

It's where everyone cares about everyone else, where we all love our neighbors and work together to uplift each other.

It's where there's true patriotism.