Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Queer in Nigeria - Worst fears.

dequeen

Just felt like a self-disclosure moment....

The questions are

1. What scares you the most about being queer in Nigeria? What are your deepest fears about the queer lifestyle in Nigeria?

2. For closeted peeps, why aren't you out to your family yet? What scares you about coming out to them?

1) I really do not have any fears at all at the moment. Maybe I have been sheltered from all the harassment and I feel oblivious to them. The only real fear I have is not actually finding a woman. Nothing about society scares me.

2) coming out is going to be hard. It's not about breaking their hearts and all that. It's the fact that their minds are kind of small, like they wouldn't even be able to comprehend it. So I am still dropping subtle hints, trying to water the ground, seeing how it goes.

Nice one Dequeen..

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dequeen said:

Just felt like a self-disclosure moment....

The questions are

1. What scares you the most about being queer in Nigeria? What are your deepest fears about the queer lifestyle in Nigeria?

2. For closeted peeps, why aren't you out to your family yet? What scares you about coming out to them?

1. Not finding the kind of woman who wants the kind of things I want and being stuck here in Nigeria and not living the kind of life I want because pork-nosers wont let somebody be great in this country.

2. As for my family, I have an uncle that knows and I think my elder sis and little brother knows (though they are yet to confront me about it) but I might really come out to them when am able to leave Nigeria then start a family with an amazing woman.

• Like 1

For me,

1. Lynching. This is my worst way to die. I remember these fears reawakened by the book "Under the Udala tree".... Frustrated homophobes are not a nice crowd.

2. Disappointment. They would be so disappointed in me...I'm not yet sure I have built the right support team to fall back into if they reject me....

On 10/22/2018 at 8:22 AM, vina said:

So I am still dropping subtle hints, trying to water the ground, seeing how it goes.

Pray tell, what are these subtle hints??

On 10/22/2018 at 1:17 PM, ChazBee said:

1. Not finding the kind of woman who wants the kind of things I want and being stuck here in Nigeria and not living the kind of life I want because pork-nosers wont let somebody be great in this country.

2. As for my family, I have an uncle that knows and I think my elder sis and little brother knows (though they are yet to confront me about it) but I might really come out to them when am able to leave Nigeria then start a family with an amazing woman.

If you wait for that confrontation, you might end up waiting throughout this earth life because for a lot of Nigerians, it's a taboo topic that shouldn't be discussed because for them, discussing it makes it become 'real'. 

There's that woman... Keeping hope alive is our only chance.

#DownWithThePork-nosers!

25 minutes ago, dequeen said:

If you wait for that confrontation, you might end up waiting throughout this earth life because for a lot of Nigerians, it's a taboo topic that shouldn't be discussed because for them, discussing it makes it become 'real'. 

There's that woman... Keeping hope alive is our only chance.

#DownWithThePork-nosers!

You hit the right button on that.... Dear Mrs Right hurry up please 

1. What scares me most small minds and religious over zealousness .

1b . Deepest fear ....none

2. Haven't come out  because they won't just understand... 

3 hours ago, dequeen said:

Pray tell, what are these subtle hints??

Started with I don't want to get married ever cos marriage isn't for me. I heard their views and took it to heart.

Then I bring up gay topics from blogs and read it to them. We argue about it.