Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

What is the most underrated problem in the life of a lesbian?

ChazBee

I saw this on Quota and its so apt and on point so I decided to share, I've always had the thought that I am that only one irritated by people's ignorance towards my sexuality but reading this and knowing that it is a worldwide occurrence makes me less mad at the world. You think there are other Underrated Problems?  please add, I usually helps when we share points like this knowing that we go about our daily lives learning from each other on self acceptance and what to expect in situations peculiar to us since there's virtually no one else to learn from.

Jennifer Ellis
Jennifer Ellis, I believe we should be treated equally under the law

Underrated? I can think of several.

1. Some men seem to think we exist simply to titillate them. They refuse to accept we are gay and/or believe they can change us. If I walk down the street holding the hand of a woman, you would think I am doing so just to appeal to men. God forbid I kiss a woman in public.

2. We tend to be ignored. If you look at tv shows and movies in the mainstream, it is considerably more common for gay men to have roles, not lesbians. We are generally an afterthought.

3. Following up on 2, when we are in movies and tv shows, they often don't know what to do with us. So we end up getting pregnant or adopting children. It is as if they cannot view us outside of motherhood. It seems challenging for people to write lesbian characters which are whole, unique beings outside of motherhood. And there seems to be a fear of romance beyond a kiss.

4. Some people seem to think we don't have "real" sex. You know, no penis, no sex. If you ask me, these people have no imagination.

5. If women have a tendency to be made invisible in our society, lesbians are even more so. 

6. People think we hate men. A lot. I like men. I enjoy their company. You know who has a reason to hate men? Straight women. They have to live with men. We don't. Straight men have a reason to hate women. They have to live with them. Lesbians? We don't care.

7. People think our relationships must be easier. You know, because it is two women. This suggests that our relationships are somehow different. Less serious. Less important. Less meaningful. They are no less difficult, they are no less meaningful.

8. I forgot to add the one that probably annoys me the most. Straight women who think we are toys. Something with which to experiment. I had a friend who would constantly hit on me when she got drunk. I asked her why. She said because I am safe. I said, I'm not a toy. Stop it.

The list goes on. 

Those that do not believe that a woman can be fully gay and serious about it.

We even have fellow lgtb girls who would advice you to have fun with girls but make sure you end up with a man because girls are just for fun.

1 minute ago, vina said:

The list goes on. 

We even have fellow lgtb girls who would advice you to have fun with girls but make sure you end up with a man because girls are just for fun.

FACTS!!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ChazBee said:
I saw this on Quota and its so apt and on point so I decided to share, I've always had the thought that I am that only one irritated by people's ignorance towards my sexuality but reading this and knowing that it is a worldwide occurrence makes me less mad at the world. You think there are other Underrated Problems?  please add, I usually helps when we share points like this knowing that we go about our daily lives learning from each other on self acceptance and what to expect in situations peculiar to us since there's virtually no one else to learn from.

Jennifer Ellis
Jennifer Ellis, I believe we should be treated equally under the law

Underrated? I can think of several.

1. Some men seem to think we exist simply to titillate them. They refuse to accept we are gay and/or believe they can change us. If I walk down the street holding the hand of a woman, you would think I am doing so just to appeal to men. God forbid I kiss a woman in public.

2. We tend to be ignored. If you look at tv shows and movies in the mainstream, it is considerably more common for gay men to have roles, not lesbians. We are generally an afterthought.

3. Following up on 2, when we are in movies and tv shows, they often don't know what to do with us. So we end up getting pregnant or adopting children. It is as if they cannot view us outside of motherhood. It seems challenging for people to write lesbian characters which are whole, unique beings outside of motherhood. And there seems to be a fear of romance beyond a kiss.

4. Some people seem to think we don't have "real" sex. You know, no penis, no sex. If you ask me, these people have no imagination.

5. If women have a tendency to be made invisible in our society, lesbians are even more so. 

6. People think we hate men. A lot. I like men. I enjoy their company. You know who has a reason to hate men? Straight women. They have to live with men. We don't. Straight men have a reason to hate women. They have to live with them. Lesbians? We don't care.

7. People think our relationships must be easier. You know, because it is two women. This suggests that our relationships are somehow different. Less serious. Less important. Less meaningful. They are no less difficult, they are no less meaningful.

8. I forgot to add the one that probably annoys me the most. Straight women who think we are toys. Something with which to experiment. I had a friend who would constantly hit on me when she got drunk. I asked her why. She said because I am safe. I said, I'm not a toy. Stop it.

7 and 8 are extremely annoying for me

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ChazBee said:

You know who has a reason to hate men? Straight women. They have to live with men. We don't. Straight men have a reason to hate women. They have to live with them. Lesbians? We don't care.

Hahahahaha. I found this amusing. 

Thanks for sharing @ChazBee

1 hour ago, vina said:

The list goes on. 

Major reason am so tucked in right now towards girls, a bunch of us are so confused and its so annoying. I've come to notice that most girls in Nigeria know what they like but have no clue about what they want. We want to be good girls and play safe (which is good in some way) but arent we supposed to think of ourselves first? what happened to "find what makes you happy and stick to it". How is it fair to love a girl and denounce the world for her only for her to wake up one morning and throw it all to your face and still make you feel like you're being unreasonable for questioning her and trying to make sense of it all.

Dear Nigerian 'supposed Lesbians',  please be honest to yourselves, make it clear to us that its just a fling, that you are not as crazy as those of us who want to go all the way so we know what we are in for from onset. 

Do not make promises you cant keep just to impress us no matter how good the sex is.

Thanks

Signed,

Nigerian Core Lesbians Associations

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChazBee said:

Major reason am so tucked in right now towards girls, a bunch of us are so confused and its so annoying. I've come to notice that most girls in Nigeria know what they like but have no clue about what they want. We want to be good girls and play safe (which is good in some way) but arent we supposed to think of ourselves first? what happened to "find what makes you happy and stick to it". How is it fair to love a girl and denounce the world for her only for her to wake up one morning and throw it all to your face and still make you feel like you're being unreasonable for questioning her and trying to make sense of it all.

Dear Nigerian 'supposed Lesbians',  please be honest to yourselves, make it clear to us that its just a fling, that you are not as crazy as those of us who want to go all the way so we know what we are in for from onset. 

Do not make promises you cant keep just to impress us no matter how good the sex is.

Thanks

Signed,

Lool.. Core lesbians got me. Hahahaha.

i like honest girls, tell me straight up if we dont have a future so i knw how to guard my heart.

when i meet new people now, the first thing i ask is "marriage". If she starts to cook up cock and bull story, i Mooovee..  I am getting too old for bull.

3 hours ago, vina said:

i like honest girls, tell me straight up if we dont have a future so i knw how to guard my heart.

when i meet new people now, the first thing i ask is "marriage". If she starts to cook up cock and bull story, i Mooovee..  I am getting too old for bull.

Gospel!  Its all or nothing.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vina said:

Even when you ask, as long as their veejay is wet they'd tell you what you wanna hear for as long as you are needed but as soon as one broda buys them suya and Smirnoff ice you'll start to hear lines like "this is Nigeria and we have to be realistic "

"it's a sin, am just doing it cos I was single "

As if it's some hangover that needs to be exhausted. 

Please queue here so we can start a core lesbians care group Mbok. 

2 hours ago, Mimy said:

Lol. How do I get an entry form to this association? 

You're in already. Trust me we need a place that's just for us

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ChazBee said:

as soon as one broda buys them suya and Smirnoff ice you'll start to hear lines like "this is Nigeria and we have to be realistic "

hahahah and not like we don't buy Smirnoff and suya and even shawarma for these chicks o abi broda own special? 😂😂

15 minutes ago, Mimy said:

hahahah and not like we don't buy Smirnoff and suya and even shawarma for these chicks o abi broda own special? 😂😂

The one those broda buys Ehhh, I suspect it plus dem girls know what they like but don't know what they want. I can't wait for God to take me out of Nigeria, my only option for the kinda life I want. #sistersprayyourwayout

• Haha 1

My ribs are cracking here. Lwkmd. Chazbee no kill me.

am i lucky or wah? I always meet girls who want to actually marry me and settle down o. Na me dey use style form o, make i no con enter one chance marriage.

On 10/30/2018 at 1:34 PM, ChazBee said:

Thanks

Signed,

Preach it Sister!

On 10/30/2018 at 3:47 PM, vina said:

My own question is usually, " Are you out?" And if the answer is no, "When do you intend to come out? Are you considering it??" 

Because if she isn't coming out to at least her family, I don't know how that marriage wan take hold o because I want a wedding ceremony and a couple of family members there and the whole children taking whoever's name ish. (That's a huge part of your life, you can't just cut your family out of that and think all will be well.)

1 minute ago, dequeen said:

My own question is usually, " Are you out?" And if the answer is no, "When do you intend to come out? Are you considering it??" 

Because if she isn't coming out to at least her family, I don't know how that marriage wan take hold o because I want a wedding ceremony and a couple of family members there and the whole children taking whoever's name ish. (That's a huge part of your life, you can't just cut your family out of that and think all will be well.)

Well, if am living in Nigeria then I won't consider a wedding for security reasons but once outta here I will have a private wedding, then I'll have my own kids while she has hers. You know why?, if and when you guys break up you won't want to be the one who lost custody because you are a foreigner or under employed. 

10 minutes ago, ChazBee said:

Well, if am living in Nigeria then I won't consider a wedding for security reasons but once outta here I will have a private wedding, then I'll have my own kids while she has hers. You know why?, if and when you guys break up you won't want to be the one who lost custody because you are a foreigner or under employed. 

Aren't they all your kids?? Why the divide?? 

Definitely, wedding in Nigeria would be insane.... 

Why are you anticipating a breakup though??

14 minutes ago, dequeen said:

Aren't they all your kids?? Why the divide?? 

Definitely, wedding in Nigeria would be insane.... 

Why are you anticipating a breakup though??

They are all our kids but I prefer she has hers and I have mine. Why the divide? Because of unforeseen circumstances, I have this thing I do where I anticipate for break up the moment a person says they love me, it has overtime helped me to get over the uncountable heartbreaks. 

Also, if you have a solid plan because you love someone, make sure it's fool proof, that's why we have things like prenup and Wills. 

Someone may not outrightly set out to hurt you but no one knows tomorrow. 

As for the kids, am gonna take care of then as mine, am a lover of kids and I will love them all equally but incase something happens I wanna know I have mine, that am not alone. 

1 hour ago, ChazBee said:

Ah!! That one no make sense!! Which kind family be that? 

Hanty chazbee if you jam girl like me and we born our different kids, when we break up i go won carry my own still follow you drag your own eh, especially if we are married. Wtf!! All the kids are mine and i have taken care of them and seen them as a part of my life.

what makes you feel they are yours just cos you pushed them out. Hanty i go still drag!!! 

I cant just move on and forget about kids you have with me and neither would i let you move on leaving my own kids. They are ours and will forever be and you go pay child support eeeeeeeeee

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dequeen said:

The wedding na for nigeria? Even if she comes out will they accept her and attend the wedding? Hanty why???

this coming out own no be guarantee jor. Me i am not out but i gay pass ellen!! 

1 minute ago, vina said:

Ah!! That one no make sense!! Which kind family be that? 

Hanty chazbee if you jam girl like me and we born our different kids, when we break up i go won carry my own still follow you drag your own eh, especially if we are married. Wtf!! All the kids are mine and i have taken care of them and seen them as a part of my life.

what makes you feel they are yours just cos you pushed them out. Hanty i go still drag!!! 

I cant just move on and forget about kids you have with me and neither would i let you move on leaving my own kids. They are ours and will forever be and you go pay child support eeeeeeeeee

You won't understand these things until you've been in it or seen people go through it, this life we live is too complicated sometimes. 

I understand that we're one when we're together but it's much more than eyes can see 

2 minutes ago, ChazBee said:

You won't understand these things until you've been in it or seen people go through it, this life we live is too complicated sometimes. 

I understand that we're one when we're together but it's much more than eyes can see 

Depends on who you are with. Baby, i would never let the issues my spouse and i hve to ever affect the kids no matter what. Its not fair, we are adults and should learn to take our issues away from the kids. 

In case of separation then we can arrange joint custody or something. We shouldnt share the kids. How do you think the kids would feel?