Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

On the issue of body odour

Union

Have you ever being by asked out by somebody who has body odour? I mean, they are cool, smart, caring, understanding, everything you've ever wanted except for the body odour. 

How do you get them to take care of it without hurting their feelings and not pushing them away? 

Note: You've not started dating. You are in the processing of getting to know each other. 

Lmao!!! This one is strong. 

Thinking back, I haven't been with anyone like that neither has anyone asked me out like that. Wait!  I dated a guy once who had mouth odour, I just avoided kissing him.

This issue of body odour, is it possible that some people are born with it or like it's a sickness that good hygiene and perfume can't cure? I'm starting to think so o. 

Cos I have met really neat friends who couldn't just help the smell.

My ex had mild body odor when we started and I couldn't stand it but a friend of mine was of good help. We started with baby steps, I made sure she had her bath every night or no sex, yes, no sex no matter how horny I was I won't let her touch me because I can't stand smells. 

I started gifting her perfumes and body sprays and made sure she used them until it became a part of her routine. 

I started to create mild awareness to smells and am glad she got the message cos before 2 months the awful smell stopped. 

Glad I left her better than I met her. 

30 minutes ago, vina said:

Lmao!!! This one is strong. 

Thinking back, I haven't been with anyone like that neither has anyone asked me out like that. Wait!  I dated a guy once who had mouth odour, I just avoided kissing him.

This issue of body odour, is it possible that some people are born with it or like it's a sickness that good hygiene and perfume can't cure? I'm starting to think so o. 

Cos I have met really neat friends who couldn't just help the smell.

I once thought it was a sickness because I knew someone who use to smell like whatever she ate. I don't mean just her mouth, every part of her body that secretes fluid. If she ate anything with ginger, she would smell like ginger or garlic. I think its a condition. 

6 minutes ago, ChazBee said:

My ex had mild body odor when we started and I couldn't stand it but a friend of mine was of good help. We started with baby steps, I made sure she had her bath every night or no sex, yes, no sex no matter how horny I was I won't let her touch me because I can't stand smells. 

I started gifting her perfumes and body sprays and made sure she used them until it became a part of her routine. 

I started to create mild awareness to smells and am glad she got the message cos before 2 months the awful smell stopped. 

Glad I left her better than I met her. 

Are u in Abuja yet?

15 minutes ago, M2DD said:

Are u in Abuja yet?

Yes dear, I came in yesterday and am at a conference now. What part of Abuja are you in? DM so we can arrange a time. 

Hmm! Smell! 

I think most people is their bad hygiene that makes them smell. Some don't know the appropriate deodorant for their body type. Like the type that can hold them.

For me, l am very conscious of hard bad smell. I can't stand it because it unconsciously changes my mood and actually gets me upset(my bad part).

Like my ex she has this mild sweaty smell sometimes and upon that, she use wrong chioce of perfume most times that makes her smell like a man which l dislike.

I did talk to her about it severally but she is just too stubborn to listen.

Sometimes when she come close l have to hold my breath and l eventually stop kissing her on the neck.

Then when she started acting up, it was part of the quick exit to me.

I think  ladies should learn to care for them selves properly. Before the next person sitting close to you would perceive a smell, that smell comes to you first.

So why acting as if you don't know or care?

For me if you have a hard body smell no matter how pretty you are is a no, no.

Go and do the needful first  pls!

The thing is, how do one tell her partner or soon to be partner that they smell, politely? Sometimes despite the subtle hints one drop, they still don't decode. 

3 hours ago, vina said:

@MENA on the contrary, most people with smells are not aware. Their noses are so accustomed to it that they do not know except someone tells them.

Well let me agree with you to  some extend but why is it that some of such people when you try to bring it to their  knowledge politely still they always act stubborn most times?

10 minutes ago, MENA said:

Well let me agree with you to  some extend but why is it that some of such people when you try to bring it to their  knowledge politely still they always act stubborn most times?

It disturbs them o when you bring it to their notice but I guess it hurts them and they try to act like it doesn't get to them.

But the smart ones will take it to heart secretly and start to act on it. 

Nobody would like to be told they smell but a serious person would do anything to help the situation. 

I have seen threads where people seek help for extreme body odour and halitosis.

4 minutes ago, vina said:

It disturbs them o when you bring it to their notice but I guess it hurts them and they try to act like it doesn't get to them.

But the smart ones will take it to heart secretly and start to act on it. 

Nobody would like to be told they smell but a serious person would do anything to help the situation. 

I have seen threads where people seek help for extreme body odour and halitosis.

I understand. But some girls are just dirty menh!

I remember this funny experience while l was travelling last 2 weeks, there is this girl wearing handless shirt in front of me.

Along the line she just raised  up hand to hold the car handle at the roof top and the smell that came out just change the environment while her hand was up.

At a point l felt like telling the driver to put off the AC. I was just praying to get to my destination on time.

The smell no be joke o.

And l noticed she even had hairs in her armpit.  Why wouldn't she smell?

I'd walk away from whatever it is that's brewing before it blossoms. I love to smell nice, like really nice and anything contrary to this; is a no no. I can't stand people with body odor.. I tried, but just can't.  God forbids it, i consider dating someone with any type of odor, nah. I'd rather do an obese lady than settle for body odour. 

I had a colleague that used to stink like mad. Like so bad that when he comes close you start to choke. I'm not exaggerating i swear. It was really that bad.

Anyway, it wasn't just him, it got so bad my company started sharing deodorant to some guys 🤣 but this particular guy?? My God.

Anyway, personally I sweat a lot. And because of that, i have a "bad" habit of randomly sniffing myself just to make sure... So what do i do?

1) I thoroughly scrub my armpits when i shower.

2) The more armpit hair you have the less effective your antiperspirant will be. So i try to shave as often as possible.

3) I never repeat shirts without washing.

4) I generously use my antiperspirant after i shower.

5) After putting on my shirts, i spray a perfume or deodorant directly under my armpits again.

6) When my babe is around, "hey babe, smell me.. You know you want to 😗".

As for telling your babe that she stinks, sometimes its best to just come out with it. Take her by her shoulders and say "babe, i love you but right now you stink. Go shower." Or "Babe, i think you should use more deodorant". She might be hurt but its for her own good.

Shey them say na person wey like you dey tell you say your mouth dey smell?

• Like 2

Body odor is actually a medical condition. Basically, body odor is caused by bacteria breaking down sweat. In other words, if you sweat and let it stay on your skin for too long(especially the armpit), what results is body odor. 

3 steps to taking care of it.

Use antibacterial soap to wash the armpit, shave often and use deodorant/antiperspirant. All these will reduce the level of bacteria in the armpit. 

In addition, there are probiotics that can regulate the normal flora of our skin and even breath.

As for telling the person, I don't know how to hurt people's feelings. But as someone said, enforce regular bathing on them. Its not just about bathing, its also about scrubbing well. We once had a roommate who had serious body odor. We realised this six foot tall girl had been bathing with half bucket of water. To top it, she never used deodorant because her church was against it. Las las, we had to tell her. (we, excluding me lol). We didn't see her for 2 days. We all became scared and guilty. Few days after she got back, we noticed a drastic change. The odor reduced until it was no more.

And really some people confuse this. Deodorant/antiperspirant is for the armpit, body mist/spray is for the body (not armpit). This is a major cause of some people's body odor.

Diet is also important. You can't be eating garlic or spicy foods all the time  and not expect to not smell like the Indians.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, MENA said:

I understand. But some girls are just dirty menh!

I remember this funny experience while l was travelling last 2 weeks, there is this girl wearing handless shirt in front of me.

Along the line she just raised  up hand to hold the car handle at the roof top and the smell that came out just change the environment while her hand was up.

At a point l felt like telling the driver to put off the AC. I was just praying to get to my destination on time.

The smell no be joke o.

And l noticed she even had hairs in her armpit.  Why wouldn't she smell?

Hahahahhahaha. MENA o...

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Union said:

Diet is also important. You can't be eating garlic or spicy foods all the time  and not expect to not smell like the Indians.

Hahahaha. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Union said:

Body odor is actually a medical condition. Basically, body odor is caused by bacteria breaking down sweat. In other words, if you sweat and let it stay on your skin for too long(especially the armpit), what results is body odor. 

3 steps to taking care of it.

Use antibacterial soap to wash the armpit, shave often and use deodorant/antiperspirant. All these will reduce the level of bacteria in the armpit. 

In addition, there are probiotics that can regulate the normal flora of our skin and even breath.

As for telling the person, I don't know how to hurt people's feelings. But as someone said, enforce regular bathing on them. Its not just about bathing, its also about scrubbing well. We once had a roommate who had serious body odor. We realised this six foot tall girl had been bathing with half bucket of water. To top it, she never used deodorant because her church was against it. Las las, we had to tell her. (we, excluding me lol). We didn't see her for 2 days. We all became scared and guilty. Few days after she got back, we noticed a drastic change. The odor reduced until it was no more.

And really some people confuse this. Deodorant/antiperspirant is for the armpit, body mist/spray is for the body (not armpit). This is a major cause of some people's body odor.

Love this!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Hawken said:

As for telling your babe that she stinks, sometimes its best to just come out with it. Take her by her shoulders and say "babe, i love you but right now you stink. Go shower." Or "Babe, i think you should use more deodorant". She might be hurt but its for her own good.

Shey them say na person wey like you dey tell you say your mouth dey smell?

Hahaha. I agree. The truth is that, sometimes, there just isn't an easy way to speak certain truths. It's bound to hurt and cause shame. 

Personally I would rather walk away than have to deal with causing hurt or making anyone feel less...

...and while my brain tells me it is the right thing to do if I told them, my heart often lacks courage to. 

30 minutes ago, kimi said:

...and while my brain tells me it is the right thing to do if I told them, my heart often lacks courage to. 

This your fragile heart sef

Is hight time we go see Dr OZ🤣🤣

On 11/16/2018 at 9:30 AM, Union said:

Have you ever being by asked out by somebody who has body odour? I mean, they are cool, smart, caring, understanding, everything you've ever wanted except for the body odour. 

How do you get them to take care of it without hurting their feelings and not pushing them away? 

Note: You've not started dating. You are in the processing of getting to know each other. 

Two weird things strongly control my interest in a person. My ears and my nose. 

And I really can't bring up that topic with anybody.....it's too sensitive.... 

I think gifting such a person a bottle of disinfectant like dettol might help sha. Ever since it helped me avoid catching chicken pox in secondary school, I have mad believe in it. I literally feel there's no bacteria or whatever infection it can't handle. Body odour should be child's play to it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, dequeen said:

Two weird things strongly control my interest in a person. My ears and my nose. 

And I really can't bring up that topic with anybody.....it's too sensitive.... 

I think gifting such a person a bottle of disinfectant like dettol might help sha. Ever since it helped me avoid catching chicken pox in secondary school, I have mad believe in it. I literally feel there's no bacteria or whatever infection it can't handle. Body odour should be child's play to it...

Hahahahaha. You're just a clown. Lol