Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

The issue on the registration of Lesbian's Association of Nigeria

Starburst

*On Lesbians Association Registration*

*Pamela Adie vs CAC (2018):*

*Federal High Court dismisses suit seeking to Register Lesbian Association in Nigeria* _On the ground that is contrary to the existing law & Public Policy..._ 

Justice Nnamdi Dimgba of the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on friday 16th November 2018 dismissed a suit seeking to legalize the formation of a Lesbian Association in Nigeria.

The case with SUIT NO: FHC/ABJ/CS/827/2018 was filed by Pamela Adie against Corporate Affairs Commission.

The Applicant, Pamela Adie, sometime in October 2017 founded “Lesbian Equality and Empowerment Initiatives” whose objective was primarily to advocate for the rights of same sex sexual orientation people.

The Applicant in a quest to register the association applied to the Respondent, Corporate Affairs Commission, CAC, through her solicitor, Fajenyo Kayode for the reservation of the name “Lesbian Equality and Empowerment Initiatives”.

The Respondent declined to approve the proposed name on the ground that it was misleading and contrary to public policy.

The Applicant through her lawyer Mike Enahoro-Ebah petitioned, albeit unsuccessfully, the Registrar General of the Respondent to rescind its earlier decision rejecting the name.

Based on the refusal of the Respondent to approve the proposed name the Applicant applied to the Court for redress.

The Respondent contends that the name sought to be registered by the Applicant cannot be approved because it is misleading, offensive, contrary to public policy and violates an existing law that prohibits same-sex marriage in Nigeria.

The parties approached the federal high court to determine the true position of things.

Justice Dimgba in his Judgment refused theland prayers of the applicant and dismissed the applicant suit.
The court held that in so far as the Same Sex Marriage (Prohibition) Act is still much operative in Nigeria and has not been repealed, the right to form same sex and gay unions and associations is prohibited and CAC is right to have rejected the application for being in contravention of public policy and morality...

This is a good publicity. Cases like this bring to light the fact that gay people exist and will continue to exist in this country inspite the hostility and the shitty anti gay law. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree with you @Mimy on this. Cases like this create visibility for queers in this country. I appreciate everyone that's a part of the ongoing fight to have us recognised and accepted in this country. More grease to your elbows.

4 hours ago, RedSafire said:

Seriously Vina. How are you fighting?

We fight in different ways. I am fighting the box the society has tried to put me in by existing, and choosing not to conform. Don't belittle my battle because it doesn't meet up to your standards. Lol.

A lot of us have lost the fight by deciding to end up with me, not me!! I'm fighting everyone on this one.

Welcome to my tedtalk.

😂Won’t dare belittle your battle, your royalness! Just waiting for an invitation to part take in the battle.

Sincerely yours--a loyal knight in waiting.

7 hours ago, scarlet said:

In a society with stringent existing Anti- gay laws? The audacity, This is quite laughable.

Well, let me refresh your mind with people who break the law to change the world in the mix of strict oppressive laws. Their efforts too was considered laughable at first. 

Nelson Mandela

Nelson Mandela is, hands down, one of the most important and celebrated figures of our lifetime.

Mandela represents equality, fairness, democracy and freedom in an often unequal, unfair and undemocratic world. But he wasn’t always seen like this…

Twenty-five years ago he was getting his first taste of freedom after being imprisoned for 27 years. Yes, you read that right. For what? What could he have done to get such a long sentence? Well, he stood up for what he believed. In 1942 he joined the African National Congress and fought against apartheid in South Africa. The audacity, right? Yep. He was imprisoned for sabotage. 

Without Nelson Mandela’s commitment to the abolition of apartheid in the face of oppression and imprisonment, the world could be a very different place. It is because of Mandela, and others like him, many more people live a free and fair life.

Aung San Suu Kyi

Aung San Suu Kyi has become an international symbol of peaceful resistance in the face of oppression.

Now the Burmese opposition politician and chairperson of the National League for Democracy in Burma, she spent 15 years under house arrest for advocating for democracy.

Suu Kyi, who was heavily influenced by Gandhi’s philosophy of non-violent protest,  helped to found the National League for Democracy. Because of her campaign for democracy in military-ruled Myanmar (Burma), she was detained and kept imprisoned by the government, as it viewed her as someone “likely to undermine the community peace and stability” of the country.

She was offered freedom if she left the country, but she refused to let her party down and stayed in Mynanmar.

In one of her most famous speeches, she said: “It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it.”

Liu Xiaobo

Liu Xiaobo is a Chinese writer, professor, and human rights activist who called for political reforms and the end of communist single-party rule. He is a political prisoner.

Liu was detained in 2008 because of his work with the Charter 08 manifesto, which called for an independent legal system, freedom of association and the end of one-party rule.

He was arrested in 2009 on suspicion of “inciting subversion of state power”. He was sentenced to eleven years’ in jail and two years’ deprivation of political rights.

During his fourth prison term, he was awarded the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize for “his long and non-violent struggle for fundamental human rights in China.”

He is the first Chinese citizen to be awarded a Nobel Prize of any kind while residing in China and is the third person to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize while in prison or detention, after Germany’s Carl von Ossietzky (1935) and Aung San Suu Kyi (1991).

India’s great independence leader first went to prison in 1922 for civil disobedience and sedition after a protest march turned violent, and resulted in the deaths of 22 people. The incident deeply affected Gandhi, who called it a “divine warning’.

He was released from prison after serving 5 years of his 6 year sentence, and went on to become the most famous advocate of peaceful protest and campaigning in the world.

Mohandas Gandhi

Gandhi famously led Indians in challenging the British-imposed salt tax with the 400 km Dandi Salt March in 1930, for which he was imprisoned for a year without trial, and later lead the Quit India Movement, calling for Britain’s withdrawal.  He was arrested many times but never gave up. An advocate until the end, Gandhi sadly paid for his beliefs with his life when he was assassinated by a militant nationalist in 1948.

Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin Luther King had a seismic impact on race relations in the United States, as the face of the Civil-Rights movement in the 1950’s.

Through his activism, he played a pivotal role in ending the legal segregation of African-American citizens, as well as the creation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. King received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964, among several other honors.

King was arrested 5 times, and wrote his second most influential speech whilst in prison in 1963 for protesting against the treatment of the black community in Birmingham, Alabama. Letter From Birmingham Jail, which was written on the margins of a newspaper and smuggled out of the prison, defends the strategy of nonviolent resistance to racism, arguing that people have a moral responsibility to break unjust laws.

Tragically, in 1968 he was assassinated in his hotel at the age of just 39.

Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks was an African-American Civil Rights activist who became famous when she stood up for what she believed – by sitting down. On the evening of December 1, 1955, Parks was sat on a bus in Alabama, heading home after a long day of work.

During her journey she was asked by a conductor to give up her seat to a white passenger, but she refused, and she was arrested for disobeying an Alabama law requiring black people to relinquish seats to white people when the bus was full. Her arrest sparked a 381-day boycott of the Montgomery bus system. It also led to a 1956 Supreme Court decision banning segregation on public transportation.

Susan Brownell Anthony

Roxana Saberi... 

Pamela Adie took a brave fierce move. Move that some of us can only dream of. 

We needs to stop leaving in the shadow of the glory of our predecessors. Running away to saner climes solves nothing. It's true not every one will stay to fight and demand for a just society but let us not undermine the efforts of those taking baby step to make a change. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

@vina your comment was uncalled for and was very provocative. Please be guided

@scarlet two wrongs don't make a right. Please be guided.

If you both do not desist, I will issue a first warning. 

7 hours ago, scarlet said:

In a society with stringent existing Anti- gay laws? The audacity, This is quite laughable.

I disagree, sometimes we remake the law by breaking it. I can't pull some of the shits Pamela Adie is pulling so I'll rather laud her audacity instead of laugh at it. We should support our own.  My thoughts 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, scarlet said:

It's against my natural inclinations to engage vicious phlegm in any form of conversation on Monday morning, else I would have given you a dose of your own pill..  By the way, your musing is dead on arrival. Reason I quoted you, so you know I was referring to you.

Now, run along like the pretentious swine,  you are.

You go around insulting everyone , no  decorum, no respect for your elders,nothing, and u want to bring that shiit to me, I have been quiet too long but this time you ain't going free. Stank ass hoe. 

• Moderators

You leave me with no choice @vina. Your 1st warning will be issued. A 2nd one if you do not desist and your 3rd would be an outright ban. 

Please respect forum rules. 

• kimi locked and unlocked this topic
8 hours ago, Mimy said:

Well, let me refresh your mind with people who break the law to change the world in the mix of strict oppressive laws. Their efforts too was considered laughable at first. 

Nelson Mandela

Nelson Mandela is, hands down, one of the most important and celebrated figures of our lifetime.

Mandela represents equality, fairness, democracy and freedom in an often unequal, unfair and undemocratic world. But he wasn’t always seen like this…

Twenty-five years ago he was getting his first taste of freedom after being imprisoned for 27 years. Yes, you read that right. For what? What could he have done to get such a long sentence? Well, he stood up for what he believed. In 1942 he joined the African National Congress and fought against apartheid in South Africa. The audacity, right? Yep. He was imprisoned for sabotage. 

Without Nelson Mandela’s commitment to the abolition of apartheid in the face of oppression and imprisonment, the world could be a very different place. It is because of Mandela, and others like him, many more people live a free and fair life.

Aung San Suu Kyi

Aung San Suu Kyi has become an international symbol of peaceful resistance in the face of oppression.

Now the Burmese opposition politician and chairperson of the National League for Democracy in Burma, she spent 15 years under house arrest for advocating for democracy.

Suu Kyi, who was heavily influenced by Gandhi’s philosophy of non-violent protest,  helped to found the National League for Democracy. Because of her campaign for democracy in military-ruled Myanmar (Burma), she was detained and kept imprisoned by the government, as it viewed her as someone “likely to undermine the community peace and stability” of the country.

She was offered freedom if she left the country, but she refused to let her party down and stayed in Mynanmar.

In one of her most famous speeches, she said: “It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it.”

Liu Xiaobo

Liu Xiaobo is a Chinese writer, professor, and human rights activist who called for political reforms and the end of communist single-party rule. He is a political prisoner.

Liu was detained in 2008 because of his work with the Charter 08 manifesto, which called for an independent legal system, freedom of association and the end of one-party rule.

He was arrested in 2009 on suspicion of “inciting subversion of state power”. He was sentenced to eleven years’ in jail and two years’ deprivation of political rights.

During his fourth prison term, he was awarded the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize for “his long and non-violent struggle for fundamental human rights in China.”

He is the first Chinese citizen to be awarded a Nobel Prize of any kind while residing in China and is the third person to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize while in prison or detention, after Germany’s Carl von Ossietzky (1935) and Aung San Suu Kyi (1991).

India’s great independence leader first went to prison in 1922 for civil disobedience and sedition after a protest march turned violent, and resulted in the deaths of 22 people. The incident deeply affected Gandhi, who called it a “divine warning’.

He was released from prison after serving 5 years of his 6 year sentence, and went on to become the most famous advocate of peaceful protest and campaigning in the world.

Mohandas Gandhi

Gandhi famously led Indians in challenging the British-imposed salt tax with the 400 km Dandi Salt March in 1930, for which he was imprisoned for a year without trial, and later lead the Quit India Movement, calling for Britain’s withdrawal.  He was arrested many times but never gave up. An advocate until the end, Gandhi sadly paid for his beliefs with his life when he was assassinated by a militant nationalist in 1948.

Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin Luther King had a seismic impact on race relations in the United States, as the face of the Civil-Rights movement in the 1950’s.

Through his activism, he played a pivotal role in ending the legal segregation of African-American citizens, as well as the creation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. King received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964, among several other honors.

King was arrested 5 times, and wrote his second most influential speech whilst in prison in 1963 for protesting against the treatment of the black community in Birmingham, Alabama. Letter From Birmingham Jail, which was written on the margins of a newspaper and smuggled out of the prison, defends the strategy of nonviolent resistance to racism, arguing that people have a moral responsibility to break unjust laws.

Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks was an African-American Civil Rights activist who became famous when she stood up for what she believed – by sitting down. On the evening of December 1, 1955, Parks was sat on a bus in Alabama, heading home after a long day of work.

During her journey she was asked by a conductor to give up her seat to a white passenger, but she refused, and she was arrested for disobeying an Alabama law requiring black people to relinquish seats to white people when the bus was full. Her arrest sparked a 381-day boycott of the Montgomery bus system. It also led to a 1956 Supreme Court decision banning segregation on public transportation.

Susan Brownell Anthony

Roxana Saberi... 

We needs to stop leaving in the shadow of the glory of our predecessors. Running away to saner climes solves nothing. It's true not every one will stay to fight and demand for a just society but let us not undermine the efforts of those taking baby step to make a change. 

God...I love you! I mean, I love this 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mimy said:

Nelson Mandela

Aung San Suu Kyi

Liu Xiaobo

Mohandas Gandhi

Martin Luther King Jr.

Rosa Parks

Susan Brownell Anthony

Roxana Saberi... 

This is one hell of a tutorial. Jeez babe you just schooled me. Thanks 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vina said:

Close the account already. Ban it now because I am waiting for the bald bitch to reply so I can chew her stink ass and spit it out and it doesn't stop here, @scarlet the lez world is small and Lagos is but a small space. We will meet after here I'll mannered owl.. Going about cussing every one, if your parents didn't teach you respect and decorum then you will learn it in public the hard way.

@vina please am begging you to stop, am not ready to lose you yet on here else there won't be those series and I don't know what to do without you /them. So please stop for my sake. 

1 hour ago, ChazBee said:

@vina please am begging you to stop, am not ready to lose you yet on here else there won't be those series and I don't know what to do without you /them. So please stop for my sake. 

Lol. I'll stop.

I'm sorry..

😂🤣🤣🤣😃🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 @vina  o!!!

I thought you were just a clown, so you can go so so gaga like this to become a killer clown?🤣🤣🤣🤣

Abeg nor let anybody pour sand, sand for your garri o, Xmas don reach finish o.

Who go DJ for Xmas party if u let them ban you?

You know sai you be my personal, person nor  rain cat and dog again. We all need each other here. 

This is home. Make una two take am easy. We love you guys😗

One love!!✌

3 minutes ago, scarlet said:

Why??! Because it came from her, doesn't it make any of those gibberish she sprew up there true. Abegiii. I dont give two f***ks!!

I know but for the sake of others. People  may see that and get wrong impression that such usage of words is allowed here. Which is not.

2 minutes ago, MENA said:

I know but for the sake of others. People  may see that and get wrong impression that such usage of words is allowed here. Which is not.

Notwithstanding.  I still very much don't care! Moreover, I didn't ask you to be my spokesman. Leave it be already

8 minutes ago, scarlet said:

Notwithstanding.  I still very much don't care! Moreover, I didn't ask you to be my spokesman. Leave it be already

Am sorry,  am not speaking for you, am speaking for NL.

So my apology if you feel offended ✌

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MENA said:

My Holiness @kimi please and please those Vina comments about Scalet should be brought down please!!👃

Hahaha. MENA, I'm far from being holy o... 

Valid point there. We would. 

• Haha 1