Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

"...or hurt them with the truth".

Guest Chilee

One cannot overemphasize the place of communication in relationships. However, a lot of people do not communicate honestly and often shield the truth from their partners, with the defence that they don't want to hurt the other person with the truth. 

What's your take on honest communication?

Would you rather "comfort your partner with a lie, or hurt them with the truth?"

Catchy headline. You'd make a good blogger.

This question. We all know the answer which is to tell the truth but you see, a lot of us don't really like the truth. Why? Because It hurts.

Also, our temperamental differences affects the way we give or receive the truth. Some persons who are more sensitive and have sensitive partners wouldn't want to say things that would hurt their partners and thus avoid letting out how they truly feel about a situation ( the truth) while you have others who say how they truly feel not minding at all.

What I think is this: that we say the truth but not doing so brashly but with love. This is your partner whom you probably would be spending the rest of your life with. Truth should be the foundation and not lies. You also should have come to a point in your relationship where you fully know yourselves and are able to tell what they like and do not like. You know their kind of person.

Like you said, the place of communication is very important in any relationship whatsoever. Being able to have a sincere conversation helps to build the relationship and brings you both closer. But the comfort the lies gives are only temporary. Soon, you'd get so uncomfortable and unhappy in the relationship.

I know that things are easier said than done but with baby steps, surely we would get there.

@GuestLight, thank you for your kind words. You seem like a great blogger yourself (well-written response).

You've literally said it all. I asked cos I recently just understood that there was a difference between just communicating and being honest when doing so.

I guess, that's why we have to first build genuine friendships with our partners so that we're comfortable to discuss anything with them. 

Why shouldn't you tell hercthr truth? Except its about breaking up then you leave little litre hints but if its moving in together or something she does that you don't like, you gotta be forthright if u wanna move in or not. So most people lie for Africa.. More over there are two things about communication. One is deeper than the other. What you really feel is deeper than what happened...( you don't get it right?)

@GuestAlexis, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Quite valid points you've made here. 

Still trying to understand the last sentence though; "What you really feel is deeper than what happened..." 

On 12/3/2018 at 9:05 AM, Guest Chilee said:

@GuestLight, thank you for your kind words. You seem like a great blogger yourself (well-written response).

You've literally said it all. I asked cos I recently just understood that there was a difference between just communicating and being honest when doing so.

I guess, that's why we have to first build genuine friendships with our partners so that we're comfortable to discuss anything with them. 

😊

Yeah! Very true

On 12/3/2018 at 9:08 AM, Guest Alexis said:

Why shouldn't you tell hercthr truth? Except its about breaking up then you leave little litre hints but if its moving in together or something she does that you don't like, you gotta be forthright if u wanna move in or not. So most people lie for Africa.. More over there are two things about communication. One is deeper than the other. What you really feel is deeper than what happened...( you don't get it right?)

Right! I don't get it. Could you please explain?

On 12/3/2018 at 12:48 AM, Guest Light said:

Catchy headline. You'd make a good blogger.

This question. We all know the answer which is to tell the truth but you see, a lot of us don't really like the truth. Why? Because It hurts.

Also, our temperamental differences affects the way we give or receive the truth. Some persons who are more sensitive and have sensitive partners wouldn't want to say things that would hurt their partners and thus avoid letting out how they truly feel about a situation ( the truth) while you have others who say how they truly feel not minding at all.

What I think is this: that we say the truth but not doing so brashly but with love. This is your partner whom you probably would be spending the rest of your life with. Truth should be the foundation and not lies. You also should have come to a point in your relationship where you fully know yourselves and are able to tell what they like and do not like. You know their kind of person.

Like you said, the place of communication is very important in any relationship whatsoever. Being able to have a sincere conversation helps to build the relationship and brings you both closer. But the comfort the lies gives are only temporary. Soon, you'd get so uncomfortable and unhappy in the relationship.

I know that things are easier said than done but with baby steps, surely we would get there.

ya,truth builds no matterhow bad.....Nd it takes a lot of courage which only people of integrity can give...