Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Jussie Smollett, Star of ‘Empire,’ Attacked in Possible Hate Crime

Teewhy

Jussie Smollett, one of the stars of the television show “Empire,” was attacked in Chicago early Tuesday morning by two assailants who yelled racial and homophobic slurs and wrapped a rope around his neck, according to the police, who said they are investigating the incident as “a possible hate crime.”

Smollett, who is black and publicly came out as gay in 2015, was walking on a downtown street when two people approached him and yelled the slurs, according to a statement released by the Chicago Police Department. The two attackers then began hitting Smollett in the face and poured an “unknown chemical substance” on him.

One of the perpetrators also wrapped a rope around Smollett’s neck before the duo fled. Smollett took himself to Northwestern Hospital and was described as in “good condition.”

“Given the severity of the allegations, we are taking this investigation very seriously and treating it as a possible hate crime,” the police statement said.

Representatives for Smollett did not respond to a request for comment, nor did Fox, the network on which “Empire” airs.

Glaad, an organization that tracks representation of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in the media, released a statement that said that it had reached out to Fox and Smollett’s team “to offer assistance as well as support for him.”

“Jussie is a true champion for L.G.B.T.Q. people and is beloved by the community and allies around the world,” the group said.

Smollett, in addition to his acting, is well-known as an activist, particularly in H.I.V./AIDS prevention. On “Empire,” Smollett plays Jamal Lyon, the gay son of the music moguls Lucious Lyon, played by Terrence Howard, and Cookie Lyon, portrayed by Taraji P. Henson.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/29/arts/television/jussie-smollett-attacked.html

Ladies, y'all need to see the "get well soon" comments from hypocrite Nigerians on instablog on IG. I just pity this country.

Just now, Teewhy said:

Ladies, y'all need to see the "get well soon" comments from hypocrite Nigerians on instablog on IG. I just pity this country.

Nigerians and hypocrisy na 5&6 naa

At first I cried, I love my Jamal and sometimes I refuse to call him by his real name. He is an amazing actor and a good humanitarian but then I saw the comments of some Nigerians and I laughed. Our problem is we don't even know what we like or don't like, we like what we're told is good and hate what we're told is wrong. 

45 minutes ago, ChazBee said:

we like what we're told is good and hate what we're told is wrong. 

This is the true definition of Nigeria and Nigerians. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ChazBee said:

At first I cried, I love my Jamal and sometimes I refuse to call him by his real name. He is an amazing actor and a good humanitarian but then I saw the comments of some Nigerians and I laughed. Our problem is we don't even know what we like or don't like, we like what we're told is good and hate what we're told is wrong. 

Lol. Yups. The follow-follow syndrome. 🙄

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2019 at 1:00 PM, Teewhy said:

This is the true definition of Nigeria and Nigerians. 

Yes..  Really sad.... We have a long journey to wokeness or enlightenment.... We dey back back back. 

Although you can't blame us, our brainwashing starts very early and it involves physical abuse. We are never taught to reason , just to regurgitate what daddy or mommy or Sunday school teacher or school teacher says..... Old habits die hard...

1 hour ago, dequeen said:

Yes..  Really sad.... We have a long journey to wokeness or enlightenment.... We dey back back back. 

Although you can't blame us, our brainwashing starts very early and it involves physical abuse. We are never taught to reason , just to regurgitate what daddy or mommy or Sunday school teacher or school teacher says..... Old habits die hard...

Our backwardness is out of this world. In science and technology, economics and commerce, governance and leadership, politics and policies, investments and securities, religion and culture, education and research. Name that thing Nigeria is not backward in. 

All we are good at is savagery. Oh, I love twitter for that. 

20 minutes ago, Teewhy said:

Our backwardness is out of this world. In science and technology, economics and commerce, governance and leadership, politics and policies, investments and securities, religion and culture, education and research. Name that thing Nigeria is not backward in. 

All we are good at is savagery. Oh, I love twitter for that. 

Lol @ All we are good at is savagery. You sure got that right. Oh Brother! I Love this country.

4 hours ago, Txunamy said:

Lol @ All we are good at is savagery. You sure got that right. Oh Brother! I Love this country.

I only love the humorous part of the country. Never a dull moment I must say.