Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

FlyJ

• Administrators

Image result for salt

The Commercial Executive Director, Tropical General Investment Group, Dr Onyekachi Onubogu, has called on Nigerians to reduce their salt intake, saying too much of salt could contribute to liver damage.

Onubogu said this in Lagos during the inauguration of a new seasoning cube known as Terra Cube, adding that seasoning and salt must be consumed moderately to avoid kidney disease, as well as high blood pressure.

“I do not think the rise in kidney diseases has anything to do with seasoning, but one of the things Nigerians told us during our research is that they want less salt in their food. We have made sure that the salt content present in the new seasoning is minimal compared to what we already have in the market.

“It is not about flavouring your food; it is about bringing out the best in it, health-wise and quality wise,” he said.

Source

• Like 1

I have always known about the downsides of salt intake. It bothers me when people cook with lots of seasoning cubes or bullion cubes as they call it, and still add lotsa lotsa salt.. 

Seasoning cubes like Maggie and knorr, already contain salt/soduim, so you don't have to use too much of both. Personally, I like to stick to seasoning cubes. I  barely use salt except when I want to rinse the meat, chicken or fish I use in cooking.. Salt is a cleanser, it kills germs and bacteria... 

And salt is good for brinning too.  Too much of salt in the body causes water retention, hence leading to swollen ankles/legs,  not to talk of the internal organs. Its especially bad for anyone who is hypertensive.. 

Right now, I use only sea salt when I want to use salt for anything.. 

Prevention is always better than a cure.. 

Some people believe sea salt is healthier than table salt.. Heck, I used to think so, but salt is salt.. 

Overall, its good to lay off the salt.. Just a little less than usual. 

• Like 1