Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

"How Are You?"

kimi

• Moderators
  1. When you ask another this question. Do you really ask with the intention to listen for how they really are or is it just another way of saying "Hello"?
  2. When asked this question, do you respond sincerely or do you simply give a convenient reply?

"How are you?" Is one of the most used and abused statements. Do share your honest thoughts about it. 

"Let's tell the truth to people. When people ask, how are you? Have the nerve sometimes to answer truthfully. You must know,  however,  that people will start Avoiding you because, they too, have knees that pain them and Head That hurts and they don't want to know about yours. "

Quote from "Letter to my Daughter" By Maya Angelou.

People just Ask how are you to be cordial, diplomatic, friendly, or respectful. Matter of fact its another form of greeting in Nigeria. So just like you would respond 'Good morning' To someone who says Good morning to you,  The question 'How are you?  Is often Accompanied by 'I am fine ' Even though you are not cos no one wants to burden/bother another with Their ishh if they can help it.  Which is understandable. Cos some people would rejoice when you are in a bad place anyway, so why Bother? 😀

But,  personally, i always ask people 'How are you' Becuase i care and i would like to know. 

Another phrase I hate is when people say 'it is well'. You are presented with a real life problem that needs a real time solution, and you go 'It is well'  TF?  What exactly is well? The fact that someone has a problem, or you have a problem staring you in the face,  or the fact that the person poured out their heart to you for a solution or an Advice and all you say is it is well? Faith without works is dead. Its not well all the time. Tackle problems, proffer solutions,  only Then can you say IT IS WELL. 

• Moderators

I typically don't ask that question and on rare occasion that I do, it's because I need to know if the person is alright. I ask when someone's demeanour suggests that they aren't too great.

When asked, I go "I'm doing well thanks" lol. Or "I'm fine thanks" because I know it wasn't asked from a place of concern. 

I rarely use that phrase. I'm a what's up? Or what's good kinda person. Or how far na? And because I don't have a lot of irrelevant people in my life, I expect an honest response to those questions.

And when the positions are switched, I usually give an honest response as well. Unless its some random person or acquaintance asking me. Then of course I'm fine. And its not because I don't want to bother you, its because we not cool enough for me to tell you what going on with me.

I use this phrase often with folks in general and my intentions are genuine. My response to a stranger will often be the most convenient reply, but I'm honest with those that know me well. 

I ask this question quite often and mostly I really want to know how that person is. 

Nope. When asked, I hardly answer sincerely. I really do not know how to answer when half of the time, I don't even know how I am. Lol 

I rarely ask persons outside 'my circle' the question, because I'm not patient enough to listen to the epistle of Lamentations that might spring forth after you pop the question. I am also more of  a 'how you dey' ? Or 'You good'? person with MY circle and I ask only when I notice they don't seem fine.

When asked by a close friend, I give a honest reply. And if it came from a mere acquaintance , I ignore. Pretending I didn't hear the question.

On 5/4/2019 at 9:32 AM, kimi said:

"How are you?" Is one of the most used and abused statements.

I agree with you on this. 

1. When I ask this, and I mean truly and sincerely ask this, I want to know how the person really is.

Sometimes, I use it as a conversation starter (which is what it has become now). Other times I ask only because the other person asked. You know, just to be courteous. If I don't want to, I wouldn't.

2. When I'm asked, I just give a convenient reply like "I'm alright" or "I'm good" because I don't think they want to know the truth. I once got a 👍🏽 from someone whom I happened to unburden a little to. 🤣🤣🤣

On 5/4/2019 at 5:59 AM, Txunamy said:

'it is well'

I recently heard a guy pronounce it as "iswell".