Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

freedom and justice for all..

Abystacy

We all have our prejudices, hatred or reservations towards persons of same sex attraction. It is unfortunate that our law makers make rules based on religious idiosyncrasies or out of sheer ignorance of scientific knowledge. Any culture that turns a deaf ear to the signs of time is will crumble so fast their heads will spin! Being gay to very few persons could be a matter of choice but there is no research done yet in this part of the world to prove that. But the truth remains that 99.5% of gay persons are biologically disposed to such inclinations just like being lefthanded or having twisted eyeballs have been neurologically disposed. It would be wrong against this significant few. I would very much recommend that our lawmakers should consider all options before passing any law against the Nigeria gay persons. I followed the debate in the House of Reps and it was clear that their argument is based just on culture and religion. Gay is not alien to any culture in the world. It is brought to awareness as a result of advancement of culture and general knowledge. Therefore effort should be made to open scientific files and reports to understand this group's plight before passing any law that would incriminate them. And that would be a gross infringement to their fundamental human rights as individuals. Also, I advice that our lawmakers should try to find out the social implications of such bill if it's passed as well as they should distance themselves from the perceived backwardness that characterize African ways of thinking in certain issues... Also, as a student I couldn't stop reading anything I could on psychology books and material ...although am not a psychology student but I have been made to understand that reinforcement produce efficient results with minimal or no consequences at all than punishment. As a matter of candid opinion we are meant to help people. Where we cannot do that, we should at least not harm those we can't help, especially when being gay poses no immediate or future threat to the individual persons or to the society in general... Laws should be set in place to help these persons become useful to themselves and to the society as a whole. Unfortunately, ours is a society where majority always win. But researches have proved times without number that such position represent abnormal curve statistically. This is my take on this issue. We shouldn't make laws based on religious sentiments or culture only. We should make laws by processing through and thoroughly all possible options for a more efficient living and development.

Abystacy....

Nice... Well Written.

Truth be told, I secretly believe the bill was passed in reaction of one of the senators' kids coming out as gay- ℓ☺ℓ . It might hv been passed for personal reasons It's jus absurd why it will irk some group of ppl who hv no direct relation to gay ppl to make a law against their happiness.