Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Homosexuals & The Nigerian Media

moresko

• Moderators

This news article caught my attention

Homosexuality: Man Gets 14-year Prison Sentence

The headline is however misleading. In my opinion, nothing in that news has anything with homosexuality. A man raped two underage boys, what is homosexual about that? It seems rather clear cut to me, but he was "charged with unnatural offences, having sexual relations with another male contrary to section 284 of the penal code law of Nigeria to which he pleaded guilty", how does this make sense to anyone? Why isn't he being charged for the "real" crimes he committed against those boys? I f he had raped a female, would that have been okay?

The crime here is RAPE. Homosexuality is not crime.

This news article caught my attention

Homosexuality: Man Gets 14-year Prison Sentence:

The headline is however misleading. In my opinion, nothing in that news has anything with homosexuality. A man raped two underage boys, what is homosexual about that? It seems rather clear cut to me, but he was "charged with unnatural offences, having sexual relations with another male contrary to section 284 of the penal code law of Nigeria to which he pleaded guilty", how does this make sense to anyone? Why isn't he being charged for the "real" crimes he committed against those boys? I f he had raped a female, would that have been okay?

You are so right.... Nigeria law enforcement and their judicial system is so lust..... We have a long way to go..

• Moderators

You are so right.... Nigeria law enforcement and their judicial system is so lust..... We have a long way to go..

I understand what you're saying about the judicial system but for me, this is about the media. The writer of this article is a dimwit. They are portraying the rape of those two boys as homosexuality. Its just so annoying.

• 3 weeks later...

Let me explain to the best of my knowledge. First of all the nigeria criminal code and penal code does not recognize rape to include the following:

1. A man who forces his wife to have intercourse

2. A woman who rapes a man

***. Or forced rape between same sex.

Also the law doesn't recognize same sex having sexual intercourse as we all knw its 14years.

Whenever a person is charged with a crime in our courts, the offence must be in existence and punishment prescribed stated. As to these situation, there is no where under the criminal or penal code that recognises same sexual intercourse as rape so u will understand why the offence is charged under unnatural sexual acts. Obviously on the face of it the man committed two offences but since its only one that the law recognizes he can only be punished on that count. BARR. BINTA

• Moderators

Let me explain to the best of my knowledge. First of all the nigeria criminal code and penal code does not recognize rape to include the following:

1. A man who forces his wife to have intercourse

2. A woman who rapes a man

***. Or forced rape between same sex.

Also the law doesn't recognize same sex having sexual intercourse as we all knw its 14years.

Whenever a person is charged with a crime in our courts, the offence must be in existence and punishment prescribed stated. As to these situation, there is no where under the criminal or penal code that recognises same sexual intercourse as rape so u will understand why the offence is charged under unnatural sexual acts. Obviously on the face of it the man committed two offences but since its only one that the law recognizes he can only be punished on that count. BARR. BINTA

Thanks for the reply. My concern here isn't about the penal code (which is a big concern to me), it is about the way the news was reported. This is rape, and child molestation; I wish it had been reported as that. If we allow the Nigerian media to dictate who/ what we are or paint child molesters and rapist as homosexuals, then we are fighting a losing battle for the hearts and minds of the Nigerian people