Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Is Education The Key To Success?

Michelle

• Moderators

Hahahahahaha... this would be an interesting one. I do believe that "education" is the key to success. Education needn't be formal. There are tons of people who were "schooled" by watching another perform a task or by watching another run a business. These days, knowledge can be gained for free... 

I am reminded of a podcast I listened to a while back. It is amazing what certain people have accomplished without getting into the four walls of a college. Here:

https://podcasts.google.com?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYXJ0MTkuY29tL29wcmFoLXN1cGVyc291bC1jb252ZXJzYXRpb25z&episode=Z2lkOi8vYXJ0MTktZXBpc29kZS1sb2NhdG9yL1YwL1ctSjMzc1ZBVHhVV0RVaHp4VGJQMkFIaTRZZXlhQXh6MERjMnB3Uk5UTzA

Its 50/50.. 

People choose different pathways in life.. But I'd rather people be educated, and then veer off into whatever they choose to do, than to not have an education at all. Personally, I am all for education. 

• Like 1

Education is a key to Success, not the only key. However, basic (primary) education is very vital. Everyone should be taught basic skills such as literacy, numeracy, problem-solving, digital literacy, etc to ensure that they are successful in any field of interest. Formal education also teaches tolerance and respect for the "other"; which I think is a vital tool for the fight against insurgency, homophobia, etc. 

...is the current Nigerian Education System equipping individuals with the skills they need?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Chilee said:

..is the current Nigerian Education System equipping individuals with the skills they need?

You tell us. Having experienced both the English and Nigerian schooling system, couple with your experience at the educational sector, what do you think? 

5 hours ago, Mimy said:

You tell us. Having experienced both the English and Nigerian schooling system, couple with your experience at the educational sector, what do you think? 

Generally speaking, no! But it's more of a case of education inequity; while some children have access to very high quality primary education, most others don't due to the financial status of their parents. 

In the past, completing primary school meant that one could, at least, read and write but that isn't the case anymore. There's hope though; a lot of NGOs are focused on improving access and the quality of education both in private and public schools, so yeah... things should get better.

• Like 1

Education is a necessity in our life but nah it's not necessarily the key to success 

🤔🤔

Alot of billionaires around the globe cant boast of even the lowest school certificate yet they made it 😌😌

Even we the degree holders end up working for those lower in the education ladder.

So let's just say if you are lucky enough to get the opportunity to educate yourself self grab it ,if you are not opportune to get education that shouldn't hold ya back😪😪

Success shouldn't be determined by education alone.

I don't even know what am saying again😔🚶🚶🚶

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Education is a very broad term, yet we only look at formal, structured learning when we speak of it. Is it essential for success? Yes! The broad definition as a concept includes learning skills, habits, beliefs, attitudes, and acquiring knowledge, albeit formally or informally. It is sad that the world has become so tuned to formal education. There are several success stories about people who succeeded without the structured learning experience. That said, I do not see myself succeeding without a formal education. I have two masters and about to start a PhD, but I do not turn my nose on those who chose the other path. I believe as humans; it is about choice and your ability to hold steadfast to your convictions.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RedSafire said:

Education is a very broad term, yet we only look at formal, structured learning when we speak of it. Is it essential for success? Yes! The broad definition as a concept includes learning skills, habits, beliefs, attitudes, and acquiring knowledge, albeit formally or informally. It is sad that the world has become so tuned to formal education. There are several success stories about people who succeeded without the structured learning experience. That said, I do not see myself succeeding without a formal education. I have two masters and about to start a PhD, but I do not turn my nose on those who chose the other path. I believe as humans; it is about choice and your ability to hold steadfast to your convictions.

This was nicely put👌🏾

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This would be a very long post, but the short answer to your question is no.

On the first, you'd think that may be because you used the word 'key' in your question. But not really. It's because I suspect you're referring to 'formal education'. Quite too many people think "formal education" and "education" are interchangeable.

But here's the trick; if you googled the meaning of education, you'd get two definition that are relevant to this subject matter

A. the process of receiving or giving systematic instruction, especially at a school or university
B. information about or training in a particular subject.

Here's the thing: from our first days on earth; we've undergone the "process of receiving systematic instruction" about something or received "information about or training in a particular subject."

It may be as basic as learning how to perform specific chores all the way to a subject as complicated as training to become a surgeon or pharmacist.

The former may not seem like education; but interestingly, it certainly is. 

As such, to become successful at anything, you have to undergo some form of education. Whether you were educated as an apprentice under an artisan to learn a trade or you did your PhD under to become an accomplished Mathematician is immaterial. Why?

The entire construct of classifying education is in part due to elitism or classism, part due to the Industrial Revolution, and part due to groupism. I'm pretty sure there are at least half a dozen more contributing factors, but those 3 stand out.

The earliest form of formal education was reserved for royalty and high-ranking nobles. The first schools (Edubba) were actually institutions to educate students on how to become scribes (recording information).

It was enough for commoners to obtain their education from their parents, guardians, or masters they trained under. Any extra knowledge was superfluous. For instance, if you wanted to be a baker, you didn't need to go to culinary school (there wasn't any at the time); you simply got educated via apprenticeship with the clan's baker? Wanted to be a farmer, your dad will most likely be your tutor. You earned a living with the trade you learned, and that was about it.

For heirs and scions however, education had to be more structured. They had to learn about the workings of the court, the institutions in the realm, religion, combat, war strategy, geography, history, and several other subjects. It was critical they were educated in all this to become effective administrators of the kingdom or land that'd be bequeathed to them.

It is this structured form of education that has morphed over the years to become formal education as we know it.

And as it's rose to prominence, wider society has lost sight of the more subtle but pervasive form of traditional education. Such that the widely accepted definitions for formal, informal, and non-formal education somehow have to tie to the four walls of a learning institution.

So sure, education is key to success. But formal education isn't.

Mind you, I'm not opining that formal education is useless. It is indeed useful as most trades/professions that can support a decent standard of living require formal education.

But the obsession with it and devaluation of traditional education--as well as the success of individuals (particularly my igbo brothers) who achieve success without a degree--carries a trove of sociological issues that most are unwilling or unable to realize; much more address.