Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×

Bessie

MENA

This movie is the actual biography of Bessie Smith played by queen latifah and her female lover is played by Tika sumpter (from  the have and the have not).

I found some things fascinating about this movie.

Bessie Smith (April 15, 1894 – September 26, 1937) was an American blues singer widely renowned during the Jazz Age. Nicknamed the Empress of the Blues, she was the most popular female blues singer of the 1920s and 1930s. She is often regarded as one of the greatest singers of her era and was a major influence on fellow blues singers, as well as jazz vocalists.

Now as at that time when there was still slavery in the north, she kind of live as an open bisexual. She and mentor Ma Rainy would sometimes dress in male cloths and  go to male  bar club and openly have fun with girls. No body said anything bcos they where making the money. All their teams knew they were bisexual. 

Bessie was once stab in her stomach because she defended one of her girls that a man wanted to forced to dance.

Another thing that fascinated me was as far back then, the rich own private railroad just like they own private jets now.😁

In the movie, Tika sumpter was Bessie's girl before she shot to fame and she was always the faithful nice girl that puts the cramps together when Bessie is in her low times. I wonder how  somebody loves so much to take in all those cheating for so long. But when she finally left, it was a different ball game.

l do love this movie and l think Queen latifah did justice to the character Bessie Smith. When l did further research on Bessie Smith,  l read it took her about 20yrs  to get the role.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ekBrHfjfZv4C4pAR8

35 minutes ago, Txunamy said:

Wow. I need to see the movie. 

You will sure love it.

One thing that shocked me about the movie is that Queen latifah went nude in this movie which very unlike her.

12 minutes ago, FlyJ said:

Looks interesting.

It sure does.

And one of the lessond from Bessie Smith 's life  is no matter how high you get in life, when the ships are down, just dust yourself and get back on your feet no matter how small from you start.

• Like 2
  • Administrators
Just now, MENA said:

It sure does.

And one of the lessond from Bessie Smith 's life  is no matter how high you get in life, when the ships are down, just dust yourself and get back on your feet no matter how from you start.

Word!