Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Solar Eclipse hits Nigeria

FlyJ

• Administrators

eclipse+sun.jpg

A rare solar eclipse allowing a view of the Sun blocked by the Moon has taken place in some parts of Nigeria.

The partial eclipse was also reported in other parts of Africa, including Kenya, as well as in eastern North America and southern Europe.

A resident of Gwagalada, Abuja, Mr. Jones Adebayo, told our correspondent that he caught a glimpse of the eclipse around 2pm on Sunday.

Adebayo said to prepare residents for the viewing of the eclipse, a non-governmental organisation, Sight-in –Eyes, had distributed shades to residents in the community on Saturday.

He said, “I did not even know that there would be an eclipse this year until the NGO started distributing shades on my street on Saturday. Its officials told us that it would be harmful to our health if we viewed the eclipse with our naked eyes.

“I eventually saw it on Sunday around 2pm on my way back from church service. It was very brief, may be 50 seconds but it was a different and special sight.”

A resident of Ibadan, Oyo State, Busayo Daniel, however, expressed disappointment that despite his anticipation to witness the rare phenomenon, it didn’t take place in his community.

He said, “I was outside observing the weather but it was not significantly different from any other day’s. At around 2:30 pm I observed that the sun shone brighter but no darkness was recorded.

“You know normally, when it is sunny it should be hot and sometimes scorching, but this was not the case. That was the only thing of significance that took place. I lost hope after 4: 30pm when the eclipse refused to take place.”

The last time an eclipse occurred in Nigeria was on March 29, 2006, when darkness was reported in some parts of Oyo, Kwara, Niger, Zamfara and Katsina states.

Source

slide_323894_3083694_free.jpg?1383509253163

Solar-Eclipse-2013-HD-Wallpaper.jpg

• Like 1