Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Are Trans Women really Women?

VINA

Not to be controversial or transphobic and if it comes off like that is what this is about then I'm sorry.

I just wanted to know.

Are Trans Women really Women?

This is because of JK Rowling's tweet which has gone viral and receiving back lash currently. She opines that we cannot erase sex or gender and they are calling for her head.

Also, Chimaamanda Adichie also came under backlash for insinuating that someone who doesn't experience menstruation and it's woes, childbirth, hormonal palava and etc cannot claim to be a woman in its entirety.

She says being a woman is not about make up, big butts, humongous tits and fashion, it was deeper than that.

Recently a Trans woman competed in a sports as a woman and beat the women there by miles apart and took the trophy.

Funny enough, when he was a man, he competed against men and wasn't even ranked on top ten. Now he's carting medals with a truck. Many stories like that where Trans Women are pitched against women.

I respect Trans people and believe that they matter but as women, are Trans people really women?

• Moderators

Lol. In my opinion, they are women. 

4 hours ago, VINA said:

She says being a woman is not about make up, big butts, humongous tits and fashion, it was deeper than that.

Being a women isn't about these and trans women should feel utterly insulted by such a statement which seeks to reduce their very essence to such trivialities. To trans women, it is equally deeper than that -much deeper.

4 hours ago, VINA said:

Also, Chimaamanda Adichie also came under backlash for insinuating that someone who doesn't experience menstruation and it's woes, childbirth, hormonal palava and etc cannot claim to be a woman in its entirety.

This statement I also find flawed. What happens to women who out of choice or circumstance do not experience any of these? They are not befitting to be called women? Lol. Her statement reminds me of those outdated Africa magic movies. I expected better to be honest.

Sometimes, the world just needs to understand that not everything needs to fit into stereotypical boxes for them to be able to make sense of it. It is perfectly alright to be an outlier. Lol. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The matter long.

I think we should leave trans people alone to live their lives. If they want to be called women, call them women. And if they want to be called trans-women, call them trans-women.

Every minority with their own struggle and the world is incredibly wide, there's enough space for us all tbh.

But the one thing I hate about these conversations is how people are immediately attacked and labeled transphobic once their opinion differs from the "majority" or accepted (I mean look at the way you started the post).

Are we lemmings?

So long as an opinion isn't violent or encouraging violence it should be open for discuss. It's how a lot of people learn and grow.

What exactly is in the label "woman" that people are so territorial about? It's not like it comes with any privileges. And why is the conversation always about trans-women and not trans-men? I have never seen a post or argument on social media on weather trans-men are really men 🤷

On 6/7/2020 at 10:45 AM, VINA said:

I think she is sure right.  Being a woman is really more that all those artificial things. Trans women places emphasis more on make up a lot and l think they can bearly do without it unlike most women.

Naturally woman hormones are deeper than that. It remains a fact there are somethings in life that you can't really understand until you go through it. They may feel like woman but what is like is not is.

2 hours ago, MENA said:

I think she is sure right.  Being a woman is really more that all those artificial things. Trans women places emphasis more on make up a lot and l think they can bearly do without it unlike most women.

Naturally woman hormones are deeper than that. It remains a fact there are somethings in life that you can't really understand until you go through it. They may feel like woman but what is like is not is.

Whatever you think you have or can go through in life, trans women have it worse. Which is why trans activists ask "what's the point?" weather cis or trans, we are all marginalized.

I'm always willing to unlearn and then relearn. It's why I brought this up o. Variations of views.

What I've learnt. Like @kimi said, there are women who cannot give birth and some who choose not to, still women. 

Maybe the uterus is not all there is that makes us women. I know women who took out their uterus and didn't change to men.

Some women do not bleed, never have, never did, still women.

Some are flat chested, some have no butt, some look manly, etc. And they are still women.

Like @Hawken said, there's no exclusivity to being a woman. Anybody wey won be woman, go ahead!!!

My only problem still remains the tendency for Trans people to be so aggressively violent. Geez!!!

They are aggressive because they are always on the defensive. They are always on the defensive because they've been pushed to the wall @VINA 🤷 

I don't like it either but I totally get it. It's the same way men have a problem with aggressive feminism. But feminists are aggressive because they are bloody tired.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 11:27 PM, Hawken said:

They are aggressive because they are always on the defensive. They are always on the defensive because they've been pushed to the wall @VINA 🤷 

I don't like it either but I totally get it. It's the same way men have a problem with aggressive feminism. But feminists are aggressive because they are bloody tired.

True true. It's what I assumed too..

Phewww