Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Nigerian lady told by family members to encourage her father to adopt a male child.

FlyJ

• Administrators

A Nigerian writer has told of how male relatives approached her last year to encourage her father to adopt a son as she and her sister cannot inherit his properties.

Sally Kenneth said her parents had just completed their second house in their village in "Igboland". She said her mother built the new house, yet she was told her daughters didn't matter and a son who isn't blood will be in a better position to inherit the properties.

She explained that when the men came to her, they told her they know her mother is behind her father not adopting a son and they encouraged her to talk to her father. She said she told the male family members what they didn't want to hear so they went directly to her father.

Read her tweets below.

Nigerian writer recounts how she reacted when male family members told her to encourage her dad to adopt a male child as she and her sister cannot inherit her parents

Nigerian writer recounts how she reacted when male family members told her to encourage her dad to adopt a male child as she and her sister cannot inherit her parents

Source

• Moderators

Lol. This isn't new. Isn't there a law that abolishes this? A law was passed to address this some years back if I recall correctly.

• 4 months later...

Two issues here; Continuity of lineage, and not just inheritance - which happens to be the second point.

You girls decided to get married, which automatically  takes you away from continuing your father's lineage; in his stead.

Inheritance can be contested.

'Nrachi' is the Official ceremony in igboland where a daughter takes over the lineage continuity of her father in the absence of a male child .

A lot of lesbians long for your opportunity - to remain unperturbed in their nuclear family- but you all chose marriage.

Still happening as we speak unfortunately but I believe they behave themselves when women call their bs. A law was passed to abolish this but we know how laws in Nigeria go 🙄 Takes a lot of guts but I sorry for the people that would try to pull that stunt with my family.

I go first load u with “kai kai” before you carry your slippers and leave after sweeping my compound 🧹 mschewww 

Village people wahala in igboland is madness...I know a few people who have been kicked out of their family homes as soon as their dad passed away and they had male children o

All na werey wey dey disguise 🙄

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MissBanks said:

Still happening as we speak unfortunately but I believe they behave themselves when women call their bs. A law was passed to abolish this but we know how laws in Nigeria go 🙄 Takes a lot of guts but I sorry for the people that would try to pull that stunt with my family.

I go first load u with “kai kai” before you carry your slippers and leave after sweeping my compound 🧹 mschewww 

Village people wahala in igboland is madness...I know a few people who have been kicked out of their family homes as soon as their dad passed away and they had male children o

All na werey wey dey disguise 🙄

You sound very ready to fight 😂

47 minutes ago, Hawken said:

You sound very ready to fight 😂

😂 I know 🙈🤣

I most likely would tbh (though not directly) *dusts shoulders off*  👸

Funny thing is, it wouldn’t even be about the property but the need to step on their balls 🙄 oooh such satisfaction 😈

• Haha 1