Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Relocation: Do Your Homework

kimi

• Moderators

A lot of young Nigerians seem to be leaving the country in droves. 

They say Nigeria has nothing to offer them or that it's only going to get worse

Before you join the band wagon, do your homework. 

I'm certainly not against it when people are struggling to make ends meet etc... But my observation is that a lot of Nigerians tend to base their decisions on hearsay.... and sadly, most aren't sold the full picture. 

It isn't enough to be carried away by the thought of earning "thousands" of $$ a month. To a Nigerian based in Nigeria, it usually sounds like a lot of money but in actual sense, it isn't when you look at it in terms of levels of comfort and purchasing power it affords. The economies are completely different. 

E.g, if you enjoy the "luxury" of a maid, a driver, a cook etc... in Nigeria (which isn't luxury at all). and you have a steady source of income that allows you a comfortable lifestyle, how long would you need to work "there" to enjoy that same level of comfort (credit cards aside)? Most never achieve this.

I often ponder this with friends. It would be interesting to read your thoughts. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kimi said:

"luxury" of a maid

In comparison, maids are more costly in the United States due to necessary child labor laws...we don't enslave children.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Michelle said:

In comparison, maids are more costly in the United States due to necessary child labor laws...we don't enslave children.

Loool. And we do?

It actually took me a couple of minutes to understand the children bit. You do need a more balanced view of happenings here.

On 8/7/2020 at 2:09 AM, Michelle said:

Sure you don't. You just put guns in their hands and have them on street corners selling crack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/7/2020 at 12:52 AM, kimi said:

Loool. And we do?

It actually took me a couple of minutes to understand the children bit. You do need a more balanced view of happenings here.

Perhaps this doesn't occur on the mainland. And to make matters worse these were people who appeared to be wealthy and able to afford an adult maid...they had children tending to their luxury homes...unloading and washing their luxury cars. I witnessed this where I was staying on several occasions as well as while out and about on the island. I'm not some bitter bumb making statements solely based on what I've seen or heard in the media 😃 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Michelle said:

Perhaps this doesn't occur on the mainland. And to make matters worse these were people who appeared to be wealthy and able to afford an adult maid...they had children tending to their luxury homes...unloading and washing their luxury cars. I witnessed this where I was staying on several occasions as well as while out and about on the island. I'm not some bitter bumb making statements solely based on what I've seen or heard in the media 😃 

Loool. Just like you've pointed out, our perceptions aren't just formed by the media but by our experiences as well. And our experiences come about by stories we are either being told or by the environment we have been exposed to.

On the contrary, the super rich don't do kids for maids. The words in bold are quite far-fetched as well. Lol. The child maid phenomenom is more common with some of the middle class (usually those lacking in exposure) and a lot more with lower income group households who have some type of arrangement with their guardian etc... Depends on who is assessing, some comfortable middle/upper middle class are considered rich by some. Lol.

So I would have to disagree with you on this one. I'm not sure what sort of situation or environment you have been exposed to while here but your view is sort of distorted. 

PS - in Naija, the brand of one's car is never a measure of one's wealth or status. Lots of brokes. Lol. driving about in impressive wheels. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kimi said:

The child maid phenomenom is more common with some of the middle class (usually those lacking in exposure) and a lot more with lower income group households who have some type of arrangement with their guardian etc... Depends on who is assessing, some comfortable middle/upper middle class are considered rich by some.

Progress. At least you can admit that it does exist.

The pros outweigh the cons for most when deciding to relocate from Nigeria or any other corrupt and unjust country for that matter.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Michelle said:

Progress. At least you can admit that it does exist.

The pros outweigh the cons for most when deciding to relocate from Nigeria or any other corrupt and unjust country for that matter.

Loool. It exists in a lot of countries. In yours too *wink*.... (Google is your friend. Lol)

You digress from the main points and your perceptions are quite skewed. You should get out more with those with pedigree when next you're here. 

The words in bold are finally addressing the thread. Lol. In my opinion, pros and cons are subjective to be honest. I find that a lot are misguided and fail to do their homework hence the topic. It isn't always greener on the other side. 

• Like 1

Oh @kimi 😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘

About the topic... I would jump ship in a heartbeat and it wouldn’t just be for the luxury of having the maids etc

It can be exhausting when it feels like nothing works and progressively worsens. It’s extremely heartbreaking to personally experience and see what people go through. I’m talking about basic stuff... water, food, shelter, education, hell even just a “safe space” to turn to.

I can go on and on but Nigeria has failed her people over and over again! It’s sad everyone wants to run away but I guess they are tired of trying to fix and / make sense of it all.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, MissBanks said:

It can be exhausting when it feels like nothing works and progressively worsens. It’s extremely heartbreaking to personally experience and see what people go through. I’m talking about basic stuff... water, food, shelter, education, hell even just a “safe space” to turn to.

This is valid.... even I see people who really struggle to make ends meets.

8 hours ago, MissBanks said:

About the topic... I would jump ship in a heartbeat and it wouldn’t just be for the luxury of having the maids etc

Hahahahahaha. Love the honesty.