Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

The Traffic Light Kids

kimi

• Moderators

I'm not sure what generic name they are called but the children you see begging at a traffic light stop and those who give windshields an unsolicited wash are a big security risk. 

I never used to hold this view until late last year. They multiply by the week it seems and I am afraid that there is this budding aggression waiting to erupt if you happen to find yourself in a vulnerable situation.

Each time I look at the young females, I shudder to think of how often they are being defiled by the men around them and by those within their community -especially those they pair themselves with during the day while they beg for alms. It is heartbreaking to say the least. 

What can be done really?

I support the movement for them to be taken off the streets and deported or taken off the streets and kept in an IDP camp of sorts. In such a time where we must be security and health conscious, it would be to their benefit as well to be migrated to a safer space.

Just now, kimi said:

I'm not sure what generic name they are called but the children you see begging at a traffic light stop and those who give windshields an unsolicited wash are a big security risk. 

I never used to hold this view until late last year. They multiply by the week it seems and I am afraid that there is this budding aggression waiting to erupt if you happen to find yourself in a vulnerable situation.

Each time I look at the young females, I shudder to think of how often they are being defiled by the men around them and by those within their community -especially those they pair themselves with during the day while they beg for alms. It is heartbreaking to say the least. 

What can be done really?

I support the movement for them to be taken off the streets and deported or taken off the streets and kept in an IDP camp of sorts. In such a time where we must be security and health conscious, it would be to their benefit as well to be migrated to a safer space.

Unfortunately, the girls aren't any safer in IDP camps. Women and girls are routinely raped in camps both forcefully and in exchange for care items that have been donated to camps and should otherwise be free. Truth is, women aren't safe anywhere. Women are only insulated if they are classed. And that still doesn't eliminate it. And it definitely doesn't increase her chances of getting justice if it happens.
About the security issue, taking them off the streets, doesn't solve the issue, it only takes it out of sight. Which is worse because then you won't see them coming. Its like having a cancerous growth and then covering it so at least people won't be seeing it. 

About the health, if we are keeping it buck, its not them that has been doing the spreading. Its the rich and educated that one would expect to know better and act better.

I see that i propose no solutions and that's because there are no easy ones. This is a problem we have to fix from the roots. Not all these beggars are from other African countries. Some of them are from Northern Nigeria.

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Unfortunately, the girls aren't any safer in IDP camps. Women and girls are routinely raped in camps both forcefully and in exchange for care items that have been donated to camps and should otherwise be free. Truth is, women aren't safe anywhere. Women are only insulated if they are classed. And that still doesn't eliminate it. And it definitely doesn't increase her chances of getting justice if it happens.
About the security issue, taking them off the streets, doesn't solve the issue, it only takes it out of sight. Which is worse because then you won't see them coming. Its like having a cancerous growth and then covering it so at least people won't be seeing it. 

About the health, if we are keeping it buck, its not them that has been doing the spreading. Its the rich and educated that one would expect to know better and act better.

I see that i propose no solutions and that's because there are no easy ones. This is a problem we have to fix from the roots. Not all these beggars are from other African countries. Some of them are from Northern Nigeria.

I enjoyed reading this. Very intelligent contribution. 

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Sigh.. Children honestly deserve way better than this.

I 200% agree... Their innocence deserves to be preserved. Sighs...