Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

moresko

• Moderators

What is beauty, and who do we describe as beautiful? When Margaret Wolfe Hungerford coined the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", what do you think she meant?

I think life is all about art,we see things differently and in numerous perspective, what u like may not be what I like, what u call beautiful,is what I may call ugly.

so if u staring at something and to u its beautiful, then that's what counts,,

now that I try explainin this, m getting confused

Beauty is mostly a societal construct, what Europeans consider beautiful, may not be (actually IS NOT) what West Africans consider beauty. There's a lot of homogenization of beauty going on though. You can blame globalization and an increased obsession with the physical for that.

As to what beauty is, and the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", it is relative. Just as with societies as mentioned above, so is it with individuals. Beauty cannot be measured because it varies with each individual. What I consider beautiful (appealing to my visual sense) may not be what you will consider beautiful.

A definition of beauty for me would "anything that appeals to the senses, whether visual or otherwise"

:)