Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

maturity with age,experience or an inborn gift????

chishlom

nothing pisses me off than someone saying "u are too childish ",when would u start acting mature " or "I have seen girls ur age behave better "

I think sometimes people miss the point that life is in stages, a stage to be a child,a teen and an adult, and we shouldn't rush thru any phase because we trying to please someone

I act my age,although sometimes I go way overboard, im still going to be me,a lively teen savouring her teenage days, believe it or not, the days I live now is what is going to be a foundation for my future, so its not my problem if anyone thinks am a kid..

speaking of maturity, when do u say someone Is mature? is it based on age? (trust me I behave better than some 40yr old pips,)or based on experience or is it a gift given to us from birth??

please is there any school called "getting matured academy? " or a book that instigates maturity??

really, I need to know

• Moderators

Lol, that school is called "Life". I don't believe being mature has anything to do with age, our experiences are different, and what might seem like really mature behavior from someone might be quite normal for me. People tend to throw out the word "childish" to put someone else down, especially when they disagree with you. Take heart.

I believe it's not that simple. It has a lot to do with age because our experiences come with age. It's almost like the older we become, the more we would have experienced. As such age plays an important factor. But so does our background story, where we come from, what kind of lessons we received from our parents, what factors affected our growth process, and so on. These things are very crucial because they determine just how we deal with/ what we take away from different experiences which in turn tells on our level of maturity.

That said, you can find a person of 30 years old who had absent parents while he/she grew up dealing with Attention Deficit Disorder...the symptoms which include many "childish" behavior. Like with many things (cognitive) scientific, it's not so simple... not black and white.

thanks. lala ur opinion intrigues me,I really think our growing up experiences affects our level of interacting with the world

point well noted moresko

• 4 weeks later...

Age and experience.

As you grow older and see more things in life(experience), u tend to learn things, make mistakes, understand issues and people better e.t.c

No one is completely mature, everyday we come across challenges that add an extra feather to our maturity hat depending on how we handle them.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I cnt afford to act immature, cuz I look nothing like 19. But u can still tell I'm a teen, and I dnt intent to rush growing up either.

I might be a lot more withdrawn in expression than the average teen, but i'm a teen nevertheless.

But I turn 20 early nxt year, so that's it for the "teen" label eh?