Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Nature vs Nurture?

Boopsie

Last night Eltv had this show Love Lounge and the topic was homosexuality in Nigeria. These people had me so mad! The host lady was ok, but the "experts" were two straight men who worked as counselors to gay people. These experts basically said that homosexuality is a psychological problem. We didn't get the proper nurturing from the right person, and that made us uncomfortable with being women. So then we try to be men and that's what being gay is.

What BS!

I know people say this nonsense all the time, but sometimes its hard not to get upset.

Personally, I don't think being gay means you want to be a different gender, you can be the girliest girl and still be gay, you can be the most masculine man and still be gay. just because some lesbians are butch or some gay men are femme, that's what people think all gays are like.

And what kills me is these experts were trying to be nice about gay people. That it's not our fault we're psychologically damaged and people should be kind to us until we 'figure it out'.

Anyway, what do you all think? Are we trying to be men? Are we born this way or did something go wrong in our childhood nurturing?

• Moderators

I'm not surprised that is coming from Nigerian counselors. I believe I'm born this way. Nothing spectacular happened in my childhood to make me "gay", I knew I was gay at 13, and I didn't need to kiss a girl to know that, I just knew. I definitely don't want to be a man, I love being a woman and that's it.

all right given d fact that these counsellors are from Nigeria, I would pardon their stupidity because they can't help it.and hey, we all know Nigerians are religiously controlled ignorant robots with a backwards mentality clouding their sense of judgment!! I didn't expect much from them

anyway, its aii let em keep blabbing, im just going place my hands on my ear and keep rocking the way I feel like

• Administrators

all right given d fact that these counsellors are from Nigeria, I would pardon their stupidity because they can't help it.and hey, we all know Nigerians are religiously controlled ignorant robots with a backwards mentality clouding their sense of judgment!! I didn't expect much from them

anyway, its aii let em keep blabbing, im just going place my hands on my ear and keep rocking the way I feel like

True that.

Hahahahaha. Nigerians and their inconsistent psychobabble I dont know why we bother talking about world issues when we wont be honest about it.

They probably have no prior training and just needed theor 30mins of fame. Its all the hustle. Loving women as a woman or men as a men is a choice. Its a conscious decision -To be.

And as a person we are meant to be. Good, gay and gorgeous.

Whatevet we decide to be should not be tagged an illness

......then again. Only in NIgeria

Thank goodness for you lovely, intelligent women! Otherwise one might begin to believe the hype. I want to love 9JA, I want to love my peoples, but I CAN'T with all the backwardness.