Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Is it easier to be Bisexual than Lesbian in Nigeria?

Boopsie

Just noticing something about some people I've met in the past few months. Many people claim Bisexuality rather than Lesbian, as if saying Lesbian is a step too far. I even had one person encourage me to stop saying that I'm a Lesbian, that my life will be easier if I claim Bisexuality. Or people encouraging me to date boys and just keep girls on the side. No disrespect to bisexuals, I fully believe bisexuality is a real and if that's your orientation, no problem. But for me, its not who I am. I just keep feeling this strange pressure to claim Bisexuality nonetheless. Thoughts??

• Moderators

I think it depends on where you are or who you're with, please let me explain. For most men I know, a bisexual women is a wet dream come true, because they are thinking threesome or watching the women make out, a lot of lesbians I know would not date a bisexual women, the reasons vary for them.

In the US, I don't see how its "easier" to be bisexual, maybe in Nigeria some people (emphasis on some) might call themselves bisexual so they can play or be "gay" without being called "gay".

I'm gay, I would rather be single for the rest of my life than "fake" attraction to someone I am not attracted to.

That being said, I believe bisexuality is as valid as heterosexuality and homosexuality, different strokes for different folks.

@moresko

Yeah, I guess it's different in different cultures. And I think in Nigerian culture it's easier to be Bi. Less stigma. And it leaves marriage and babies an option. I'm all for queerness and not having labels, but sometimes I want it to be clear that I prefer girls girls girls...and I'll take all the stigma and bs to not have to fake it.

I think I'm one of those lesbians who would prefer not to date a bisexual woman...I know, I shouldn't be that way, but I don't want to feel like anyone's experiment, or like what I truly want isn't real...yet I have dated many Bi women because here you take what you can get

You just so ryt@boopsie.no dis respect to d bi but i really dont like bisexuals,even though are said to be more femme,i mean am a les but am very femmine.

• Administrators

In as much as i hate to say this, i believe bearing the "Bisexual" label in Nigeria is easier. It is easily accepted by society etc. Why? When you are "Bi" people automatically assume that you play around with the same gender,but will eventually settle down with someone of the opposite gender.In a homophobic Country like Nigeria you hardly find ladies who accept their sexuality ; Everyone seems to be hiding under some sort of label/deceit making the LGBT community look like a joke.In the real sense though, none of the options you mentioned are easy. Bisexuals are seen as jokes in some areas, it just depends on what you can deal it.

It's easier and safer to be bisexual in naija.

Girls will feel ur crazy and don't a shit cos they will assume you do girls for fun while boys will dream about u and give anything to have sex with u. U will be the crazy and fun girl.

But bi sexuals are hardly ever taken seriously because of this.

The crazy girl is all ur gonna be in most cases, but it's a whole lot safer.