Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

5 Common Lies About Love Which You Must Not Accept

FlyJ

• Administrators

Paula asked her teenage daughter, Clara, what she understood by love. She paused a moment and said, "Love is that feeling you have for that very person you love". Surprised Paula nodded her head in disapproval and told Clara what love is all about. If I may ask you the same question, what do you know about love? Please, take a moment to answer before you read on...Here we go. This question may sound funny because most people usually believe they have an understanding of love especially in this age. Although, we may easily browse its meaning on the web, describe it as it is depicted in movies or explain it based on our personal understanding or experience. However, a poor understanding of love has made people attach awrong meaning to it which others are now accepting as true. Here are the misconceptions about love which most people believed and has affected their life and ruin their relationships.

**Love is a feeling

Feelings are temporal swings that build up in the mind. It is subjected to mood, situation or events that occurred within a particular period of time. However, when love is built on feelings, it will not last long. This is why some people can just say "I don't love him/her anymore" without quarrel or misunderstanding. This happened when the flames of feeling cease to burn. Isn't that surprising?

**Love gives you sleepless night

Many people who just fall in love blindly usually become restless or not composed because of their feelings. This is why they ended up saying, "I can't just stop thinking about you". How can that be when you are not jobless? Truth be said, there will be moments when you won't even think about the person you love because you are occupied with something else. It is lust or infatuation that makes you destabilize because it is selfish and demanding.

**Love is blind

Infatuation and lust are the common misconceptions people practice in place of love. Because of its sudden development, infatuation will not see certain things in a partner which could have a daring consequence in the relationship. Infatuation will not make you see some warning signs that can make you quit the relationship. When love is blind, it keeps people in an abusive relationship, makes them battered and ruins their life. Love is not blind, it sees, it listens and its open to receive instructions.

**Sex is a symbol of love

Can sex be the only sustaining force for a 50 year old marriage? Not so. One of the wrong perceptions of love is to believe that a relationship cannot thrive without sex. Love and sex are two different terms. Some ladies/guys would ask their partner to prove their love to them by giving them sex. That's not love but lust and the trending expression of love. Love shows commitment and sacrifice to a partner while sex is a means of sharing intimate pleasure amongst married couples. Any single lady/guy that demands sex only wants to ruin your life or fill his/her intimate appetite. Relationships built on sex will never thrive when sex cease to be given. Many have being fooled by this belief and will still be fooled. Don't be the next victim.

**Love is wicked

How true can this be? In the biblical qualities of love, love is described to be gentle and full of good works. I use to tell people that who you fall in love with will determine your definition of love. How would a faithful wife define love when her husband cheats on her? You cannot expect her to give you a good definition of love. This is why it is very important to know who you are falling in love with. Don't build love on feelings or emotional attachment or on a wrong foundation. Love is not dangerous. There are many people who still enjoy love in their relationship. Be very careful of whom you accept to fall in love with. Love is a decision and not an option.Many people will still be deceived about the real meaning of love. It becomes so appalling that a lot of teenagers and some adults are falling victims of these misconceptions about love.God is love and He modeled it by giving up His only Son for us. Any expression of love that will cost you your body which is meant to be reserved for a special person is not love. Not everybody that professes love to you truly loves you. Some are attracted to you because of your body or status. Moreover, love can see one's weaknesses, only lust or infatuation will fail to see it. Also, love does not grow out of emotions or feelings; it takes decision to love and be committed to the well-being of whom you decided to love, out of one's sacrificial effort without expecting a payback. Be mindful of who you fall in love with lest you give a wrong impression to the next generation.How else is love defined which you know is wrong? Let us help the next reader by sharing our views on these wrong beliefs about love.

Read more articles on http://handlingrelationshipissues.blogspot.com

• Like 1

Nice.

I tink u've got to be rily *emotionally* matured to experience true luv. Love is nothing dat u feel-its a decision. A decision dat even u cannot change cz u jst luv dis person knowing their flaws. I ws listening to a discussion among men on nagging. A guy called in n sed "I av a gf. She has dis way of talking wen she's angry. I dont knw if dats wat u call nagging bt it makes me laugh..I rily luv her".

Luv is nt a Rush. (U jst met someone). Its nt a rush to see. Kiss. And sex. Luv is patient, intense. Its pure affection.

Luv isn't madness. It erupts like a volcano n then subsides. And wen it subsides, u av to make a decision whether ur roots av so entwined together dat it is inconceivable dat u eva part. Luv is nt breathlessness, its nt d desire to av sex every minute of d day. That is jst 'being in luv' which any fool cn do. Luv itself is wat is left over wen being in luv has burned away.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Nice tips flyj, although, in my opinion, love is easier said than Done, people knw what love is all about yet its a big mess bcos lack of manners 4 instance...lmao, funny n ironical... Love is yummy though u need to knw who u truly are so u don't mislead ur partner..

The word love is very difficult to define. ..its a feeling that still confuses the f***k out of me.but love is never blind. If its blind then it's unequal,it blinds you to fault and problems and it will Definitely crash one day.

Personally,LOVE is such a complicated emotions, but I see LOVE as that which is real.

* LOVE is good...=-)

* it's this feel good emotion that makes me believe I matter to someone.

* that someone has me in her heart..

* LOVE is trust

There's no criteria as to who experiences love, it can be experienced by the strongest heart or yet the weakest of all, true love is not something you draw up like a balance sheet, it's something that happens without you knowing how it started? True love is not only felt by the matured minds or the best brains but staying in love requires commitment,decisive mind and maturity amongst other things . I don't want to experience love that I can explain, I want one that baffles even me, a love that seems yet unattainable but the sweetest,ok I have to stop now, this piece is making me hyperventilate, Ol'boy I think I might be love struck already, lemme go back to my C# jeje