Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

The Agony Of a Nigerian Fat Girl

FlyJ

• Administrators

Interesting article. Share Your Thoughts Ladies.

Gabourey-Gabby-Sidibe-Pre-001.jpg

Article written by Jennifer Ogoo Okolo. Enjoy...

"The Fat girl ends up miserable year after year. The society has neglected the fuller woman. This has resulted to fat girls feeling depressed, left-out and downcast. The average big lady spends most of their years in solitude, angry at themselves, the society and even their shadow. Many are being laugh at, ridiculed, jilted, abused and sent back indoors where they are depressed and even get fatter. The society is such a big nightmare for this group of people which is saddening." Continue...

When they go for shopping which is a very beautiful and fun experience for almost every lady. But for the fat girl, it’s a rather sober experience. In many cases, sizes are deceptive to the extent that a size 12 dress will be tagged size 18. She has to through every cloth in the store before she finds what fits her. Sometimes, she ends up not seeing any flattering outfit. Again, the sadness begins.

Then she turns to her tailor to make a good dress for her. A beautifully styled dress she saw in a magazine page. The tailor makes it, it’s still not flattering. Sarcastically, the tailor says, “I find it difficult sewing for fat girls, it is too hard”. Again, the sadness begins.

Her soon-to-be-married best friend calls, “Wendy, will you be one of my bridesmaids”? “Don’t answer of course you will”. She is excited.“Will call you up later so we go choose the dresses with the other girls”. Her heart drops. Shopping bridesmaids with the other girls, she knows will be a huge nightmare because she is the “fat girl”. While shopping, The saleslady says, "We don't have your size, so here's the biggest we do have," and she gives it a try. Of course, it never fits. Her underarm fat is spilling over, her back fat is folding over the waist, and she can't get the thing to slip over her butt. But it looks beautiful on everyone else! And she is left feeling guilty for being more than a handful. Again, the sadness begins.

At NYSC orientation camp. The fat girl is handed her dress bag. She opens it. The kaki trouser is as small as a size 6’s whereas she is a size 18. “Ma’am, dis kaki is too small for me, can I get a larger size”, she says to the platoon mistress. The lady murmurs, “Exchange with someone else”. (lol, we’ve all experienced this). And she looks around, no one has her size. Most of other corpers, she may ask will reply saying, “NOO!!! I no carry orobo size”. Everyone laughs at her. Again, the sadness begins.

Every fat lady go through post-traumatic dress disorder. It is the condition that occurs when a person, usually female, feels disappointed and traumatized while leaving a clothing store. It could happen when she views old photographs and asks herself "What the hell was I wearing???" It could also be the traumatic stress she feels between the moment she post a picture on the Internet and the moment somebody likes it or responds. Fat people go through this stress all the time and the society is not being fair at all. 80% of Heart-related illnesses which fat people suffer are because they spend most of their years depressed, not just about their size but because of social prejudicial.

Source

Crazy!Crazy!!Crazy!!!

i really dont have anything against fat people. but , I believe in taking care of my body.What pisses me off is that Some Fat people have it way too easy, they are potentially lazy and eat excessively. too much junk foods, unhealthy food with no Exercise. Thers no excuse for being fat or that it runs in the family shit. why would I want to be associated with low self confidence that usually comes with been fat! being fat affects your whole life. It limit you to some certain things in life. personally there's nothing good in being Fat...you can't even f***k well..lol

Advice.. Hit the Gym. Exercise more often. cut down on some fatty food. say no to junks. be on a diet.. its all about self development. If you don't like the way you look,change it.

Thank u Aby...simply put..get Ur lazy huge ass to the gym n quit cooking up excuses!.. Theres no way out,even sugery Is temporary..society my ass..abegi!

• Administrators

Hmm, I will come back to this later. I however think it is rude to call someone fat and to say it is not fashionable. Interesting views.

I am not fat but I feel U have to really understand that some people are genetically disposed to obesity.It has to do with the size of fat cells,how much fat d body tends to store etc.Lifestyle and eating habits are not the only factors involved.Not all fat people are lazy.

While in university,I had a room mate that had such a huge apetite that a pot of food was never enogh,no interest in exercise but was very thin! For more on this,U can read reputable journal aticles on obesity or a good encyclopaedia like Encarta.Sure,exercise and good diet help but daz nt d whole story.Even if U dont find fat people attractive,still treat them with respect.

• Moderators

First, I don't have a problem with calling someone "fat", like I wouldn't have a problem with calling someone "skinny", "thin" and so on because it is what it is. But I do have a problem with saying, "they are potentially lazy and eat excessively. too much junk foods, unhealthy food with no exercise" (potentially lazy?), "you can't even f***k well..lol (I don't understand what this means or what the joke is)", "unfashionable" (not everyone gives a shit about what's fashionable and what isnt.), "Ur lazy huge ass to the gym n quit cooking up excuses!" (really though).

Genetics plays a little factor, but the biggest factor is that our lifestyles are different now, we as humans are more sedentary that we used to be, we don't move as much, we drive to work, sit down, we drive home, sit down, watch TV, then go to bed, and with this lifestyle we eat more than ever.

As for those calling fat people lazy, I would give an example because I know these person. A teammate of mine is 190lbs, but she can squat almost 300lbs(ass to grass), deadlift over 300lbs, bench almost her bodyweight, and she does all these at almost 50yrs old, would you call her lazy? Laziness has nothing to do with weight, its human nature to be lazy. The fact someone is skinny doesn't mean they are not fat, there is something called "SKINNY FAT", research it.

If your weight (too fat or too skinny) becomes a health issue, do something about it. If you don't like your body (whether you're skinny or fat), do something about it. Don't do it because you're not "fashionable", or someone think you're lazy, do it for you. Its your body, its your canvas, change it because you want to.

I know I probably pissed off some people, bring it on.

• Administrators

The amount of ignorance in the world today is alarming. I don't know why but we tend to copy a lot of things from the West without necessarily knowing their meaning. Most Nigerian girls look pale because of fear of not being the ideal woman. If i may ask, what is the ideal woman? Where was it written that being slim is the way to go?I do not think anyone is in the right position to say what is fashionable and what is not.

@ Iris why not put up a picture of you and let people tell you how fashionable you are.Why make such a careless statement? What do you define as fashionable?

@Aby What is lazy? What even makes you think fat people are lazy? Are you serious? Does that even sound right to you that every fat person is lazy? C'mon give me a break.

I don't like when slim things try so hard to make it seem like being fleshy is not fashionable or lazy, forcing young girls to become anorexic.Keeping fit and healthy isn't only for fat people, slim people too should keep fit. Or are you trying to tell me that all slim ladies are fit and not lazy? Terminal ailments are no respecter of size. For all i care, one could be so skinny yet suffering from HIV. Self development my foot! How is self development connected to this? Y'all got to get real and stop talking down on chubby/thick/plus size ladies who probably have their own issues to deal with. No one knows what the ideal woman should look like. Define beauty in your own way and do not generalize because no one is in a position to do that.

I have talked to so many ladies who are suffering from this stigma placed on them by the society and of cos by people who have no mind of their own. Y'all need to get real cos in my own books those who criticize are not comfortable in their own body.Jeez i can't deal with ignorance.

• Moderators

Wat is she even saying? Who gives a f***k abt ur shit.

Apparently you do because you replied. If you don't understand what I'm saying, use Google, I'm sure a dictionary will pop up. Bye Felicia!

The operative word here is "some" I didn't generalize. like I said I have nothing against being or that I look down on them that's why I used "Some Fat people"..

• Moderators

The operative word here is "some" I didn't generalise. like I said I have nothing against being Fat.

Yes, you said some but have you met "some" of those fat people that "can't even f***k well"? Does bad sex have a weight class or do thin people f**k better?. Low self esteem doesn't have a weight class either, my nickname used to be " mosquito", and I had more body issues at a smaller weight than at a heavier weight. Tell how an anoxeric people is better off than a fat person? We should be focused on the health of the individual (thin or fat), and not whether they fit into society's mold of what is acceptable, fashionable, and pleasing to the eye.

I was very fat sometime ago n I knw wat it did to me. Without clothes on, u needn't look at urslf in d mirror b4 seeing fat everywhere. There were lots of clothes I cldnt wear. Cldnt even take a walk witout my laps clashing hurtingly against each other.

No, I dnt want to be fat again. Its nt as if this is any of ur business bt u asked for opinions and I gave mine. However, I did nt ask for urs wen I sed 'who wants to be fat....'. Yet, u said I was rude. No, its u who's rude. By saying I made a 'Careless Statement'...ur blatantly rude! Wat do u tink u are dat u'd say such against another user?

Wat is this site abt that someone wld give their thots on something and another wld come n say 'its senseless'. Can u not differ wit someone witout being arrogant n rude?

Did u not ask for opinions. So this is wat u set out to achieve wen u posted this article. To harshly criticize n talk anyhow? I dint generalize my view, I was talking abt myself . Wats ur grouse, vent, anger and frustration?

Are u saying to post a pic?...dats pretty lame. Ur prolly used to telling pple wat to do..and they scamper to do it.

Apparently you do because you replied. If you don't understand what I'm saying, use Google, I'm sure a dictionary will pop up. Bye Felicia!

Is this ur defense case?

Hehehehehe I love this site..... I knew it!! .... I just know this post is gonna raise some eybrow and spray some venom

Ehhnnn I heard fat girls feel they lesbians and find solace sexually in other girls, cos they ashamed of their self and feel the opposite sex wont find them attractive. ...

N.B pls note I said I "HEARD" befre attacking me o

Hehehehehe I love this site..... I knew it!! .... I just know this post is gonna raise some eybrow and spray some venom

Ehhnnn I heard fat girls feel they lesbians and find solace sexually in other girls, cos they ashamed of their self and feel the opposite sex wont find them attractive. ...

N.B pls note I said I "HEARD" befre attacking me o

lwtmb,

• Administrators

I was very fat sometime ago n I knw wat it did to me. Without clothes on, u needn't look at urslf in d mirror b4 seeing fat everywhere. There were lots of clothes I cldnt wear. Cldnt even take a walk witout my laps clashing hurtingly against each other.

No, I dnt want to be fat again. Its nt as if this is any of ur business bt u asked for opinions and I gave mine. However, I did nt ask for urs wen I sed 'who wants to be fat....'. Yet, u said I was rude. No, its u who's rude. By saying I made a 'Careless Statement'...ur blatantly rude! Wat do u tink u are dat u'd say such against another user?

Wat is this site abt that someone wld give their thots on something and another wld come n say 'its senseless'. Can u not differ wit someone witout being arrogant n rude?

Did u not ask for opinions. So this is wat u set out to achieve wen u posted this article. To harshly criticize n talk anyhow? I dint generalize my view, I was talking abt myself . Wats ur grouse, vent, anger and frustration?

Are u saying to post a pic?...dats pretty lame. Ur prolly used to telling pple wat to do..and they scamper to do it.

I see you suffered from low self esteem when you were " fat" explains the fat is not fashionable statement. I mentor ladies who have suffered esteem issues and have been called names because of their size. Hence my take on your fat is not fashionable statement. I do not think you are in a position to make that call that is why i challenged you to post a picture of yourself since of cos you know what fashionable weight means. You suffered complex when you were fat that is your story do not make it a general story by saying fat is not fashionable. Why hasty generalise for heavens sake? This mentality of looking down on people because of their size, sexuality, religion etc. must stop. It has and is still destroying a lot of ladies.

I see you suffered from low self esteem when you were " fat" explains the fat is not fashionable statement. I mentor ladies who have suffered esteem issues and have been called names because of their size. Hence my take on your fat is not fashionable statement. I do not think you are in a position to make that call that is why i challenged you to post a picture of yourself since of cos you know what fashionable weight means. You suffered complex when you were fat that is your story do not make it a general story by saying fat is not fashionable. Why hasty generalise for heavens sake? This mentality of looking down on people because of their size, sexuality, religion etc. must stop. It has and is still destroying a lot of ladies.

GHEN GHEN.....