Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Observation so far

lala1990

I've noticed the site has a lot of views a day. Majority are guests and I'm quite sure a new guest comes along fairly often, cus there is this particular story that keeps getting read virtually every time one goes to view the online list. Meaning its not the same guests going over the same story over and over again. But my rant is not about the guests, its about the members who come online and don't even contribute to any discussion. So I've basically done a little sniffing around and i just discovered that there is a pattern of just getting in, seeking a mate or spouse and disappear. So you see very active posters in February, coming online in December and not having anything to say. I think we should atleast try to keep the discussions alive, it doesn't have to be sexual or relationship geared.

P.S. I didn't come to find a spouse or a mate, I joined to make friends. This is one social media site out of the numerous I'm active on, and this is by far the worst in terms of participation. It has nothing to do with the population.

I know I'm a trouble maker.

• Upvote 1

LOL we've hammered this matter over and over and over and over again. People just dont want to participate, mostly once they get into relationships. Nothing one can do really. Or at least, nothing we can do.

• Moderators

Sorry I'm just coming around to responding to this.‎ I'm back. Thought i'd be off for longer. *just felt like typing sorry jor* :D :P

In an entirely different conversation, someone told me that 'statistics' (wonder who that is :D) states that online sites such as this are dominated by introverts.

It was an interesting perspective nonetheless one I bought into. So, if this is the case, it doesn't surprise me one bit why participation is at the level it is. Understandably, it is logical to conclude  that the 'extroverts' amongst us will be everywhere else but here! LOL

Personally, I believe in having a life outside of a relationship. That way the girlfriend isn't under undue pressure to keep me entertained. Truth is, at the end of the day, each must give what they can when they can, however they can.

I think they just don't care and when people don't care, you can't force them to care. So my motto is to enjoy the company of those who make time to come online. Those who never post are a mystery yet unsolved. Some of them are now straight, some of them have forgotten their passwords, some of them haave forgotten they even are a part of a this community, some of them are scared this site might be hackked soon so they better stay off, some of them have grown overwhelmingly busy over the years, some of them are now back in the village with no internet connection, some of them are... fill in the blank. you get my drift anyway.

• Like 1

Y'all have said my mind, but it also brings me to a deeper issue bothering communities like these especially here in Africa. This is one reason the gay thing is being seen as a joke and a purely sexual preference, the community does not have a voice! Anyway before I go on ranting, I think my work here is done.

I agree with Kimi. I'll use myself as an example, I'm an introvert. I just read, observe and learn, doesn't mean I don't wish to contribute though believe me I do but most times when I'm about to comment on something I'll be like "Do I really need to say anything here? No I don't" and then I'll cancel everything and leave. *Shrugs* Can't help it.

I mostly place comments when I'm asked a question directly, that's why I love to chat because then I'm having a one on one conversation but if it's a group discussion I'll just sit back and watch.

I feel like I'm trying to defend myself, okay I'll stop now.

PS: I almost cancelled this too.

Lol. Please don't feel like defending yourself. I'm not putting anybody on the spot. I guess for me, when I decide to leave the group, it will be obvious that it's because there are very few people here to communicate with.

KMT.

@Nmassie, i'm glad you didnt. I get like that too. A lot actually. However, even though i am an introvert, i am also a troll. I haven't gone full troll on ya'll because "i dun wana lose all my beautiful online frenss" plus sometimes i think people might not not get my humor. It really doesn't come easy to me so i'd rather not waste it.

• Moderators

Dear OP aka lala baby *wink*

Hang in there. It may not always be encouraging but stay. Help build. It's easy to pack up and leave. If you did that, what makes that any different from those who have 'left' for whatever reason.

People would think me to be a major clown.LOL. I'm actually quite reserved and pretty much a bit (sometimes, too) serious in person. I do honestly love the community and that's all that inspires me to keep active -even when I'm totally knackered or under the weather.

I'm a very patient person. It may not come easy or soon to get the sort of involvement we all desire but it starts with us.

Oh, by the way, this epistle is to get you to stick around. Let's give it all the time it requires my darling.

xx

• Administrators

Y'all have said my mind, but it also brings me to a deeper issue bothering communities like these especially here in Africa. This is one reason the gay thing is being seen as a joke and a purely sexual preference, the community does not have a voice! Anyway before I go on ranting, I think my work here is done.

Sums it all up. I haven't looked at the Introvert stat Kimi mentioned but my thing is : if you have time to chat up a girl and exchange contact via PM, you should have time to contribute to discussions. Like you rightly said, it's not about sex all the time. Unfortunately, that is what it is for most NLGBT.

Being busy with one's life unfortunately doesn't cut it for me.

• Upvote 1

I'm just seeing the busy comment and cus I'm 2 days late, I'd type without venom.

Being busy is the excuse you give your girlfriend who has never worked or is still in school as the excuse as to why you haven't called her in a week. That excuse doesn't count when adults are talking.

• Like 2

Excuse? who needs to give an excuse? Being active or inactive is a choice, their choice. naijalez is a forum just like nairaland, do you know how many inactive users they have? Do you see threads there calling them out?

Everyone is here for a different reason, some to meet people, some to find love, some just participate, and anoda category do all the mentioned. that doesn't make any reason superior to the other.

I have been on naijalez since 2012, I love the site alot and I understand what you are tryna say. I also want an active site where people participate in meaningful discussion, but you can only achieve that by encouraging them to comment more and also creating interesting topics.

There was a time people discussed serious issues here, I have had my own share of interesting debates here.I remember how I quickly reg cause I badly wanted to contribute to a particular discussion. Now you just look at some topics here and simply lose interest, quantity but no quality.

we will all play our various roles in keeping this site alive but accept the fact that not everyone will be involved, and its okay.

• Moderators

The sidelines isn't such a comfortable place to sit don't you think. If you'd enjoy certain topics/debates then it behoves you to put them up. Quality is relative :)

The sidelines isn't such a comfortable place to sit don't you think. If you'd enjoy certain topics/debates then it behoves you to put them up. Quality is relative :)/>

I don't sit on the sideline. I am active and do my own share creating topics.

yes, quality is relative.

This topic has me reminiscing about how the active usernames have changed. When I got here, there was mide, evelyn, potter occasionally, milaz, minini yea she's now back, bosslady or something like that. Now the active usernames are hawken, Kimi, fairy, princessa, lala. The tides change, a new caravan will be coming to town soon anyways and the constants like Moi! Flyj,Abystacy, Iris, Dreamgal, Moresco will be here to welcome them. **grinning broadly** no one should get mad, we earned our rights to be called constants so you too earn your rights to that place too. Hehehe!

• Upvote 1