Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

what's on your mind?

dequeen

Is it just me, or there are other bespectacled people who pull off their Glasses before they start eating? A colleague of mine asked me why I do that every time we had lunch. And I didn't even know when I do it, I said. Who eat with their Glasses on in the first place?😐

On 1/20/2019 at 1:55 PM, Mimy said:

You do know what standing on the sidelines means, right? 

Oh I’m not standing on the sidelines. Never that. I would vote for my preferred candidate and at this point, it’s neithef Buhari nor Atiku. 

7 hours ago, Damiee said:

Oh I’m not standing on the sidelines. Never that. I would vote for my preferred candidate and at this point, it’s neithef Buhari nor Atiku. 

Arrrgh... You too want to waste your vote on those guys that can't even win an election in their local government? Guys that don't even own a campaign office in my village yet they want to win an election in a country where the greater percentage of electorates are in rural and sub-urban areas. 

1 hour ago, Mimy said:

Arrrgh... You too want to waste your vote on those guys that can't even win an election in their local government? Guys that don't even own a campaign office in my village yet they want to win an election in a country where the greater percentage of electorates are in rural and sub-urban areas. 

Buhari knew he will be intellectually floored and factually defeated, that's why he  consciously ommitted the debate, Atiku withdrawing from the debate was a wise shrewd strategic political decision. Even though i hate to admit this.. It is the true. Buhari is a heavy leaden burden on Nigerians, but Atiku is no better either, he knew if he had appeared on that debate, oby and kingsley will mess him up. But then again he's the only viable choice we have all because he's in majority party.  I cringe whenever i remember   we have no other choice but to choose between two dullards. But i might reconsider;  just because of Peter Obi and  kick out that parasite leeched on our neck that copiously sucking us dry in Aso rock.

But it is a shame in a country like Nigeria, we are left to choose between two short sighted and dumb corrupt thieves, who'd lead us.. were people like Osinbajo, Pete, Sowore, Oby, Kingsley are either puppet or not given an actual opportunity despite their intellectual prowess.

5 minutes ago, scarlet said:

Buhari knew he will be intellectually floored and factually defeated, that's why he  consciously ommitted the debate, Atiku withdrawing from the debate was a wise shrewd strategic political decision. Even though i hate to admit this.. It is the true. Buhari is a heavy leaden burden on Nigerians, but Atiku is no better either, he knew if he had appeared on that debate, oby and kingsley will mess him up. But then again he's the only viable choice we have all because he's in majority party.  I cringe whenever i remember   we have no other choice but to choose between two dullards. But i might consider;  just because of Peter Obi and  kick out that parasite leeched on our neck that copiously sucking us dry in Aso rock.

But it is a shame in a country like Nigeria, we are left to choose between two short sighted and dumb corrupt thieves, who'd lead us.. were people like Osinbajo, Pete, Sowore, Oby, Kingsley are either puppet or not given an opportunity despite their intellectual prowess.

Sowore? Dude that is promising to increase minimum wage by 455%. FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY-FIVE PERCENT?!!! 😂😂😂. Guy thinks politics is SUG aluta. Abeg those guys aren't not ready jare. Wining election is beyond social media popularity. 

For now let's keep trying the 'dullards' till our youths receive sense. 

3 hours ago, Mimy said:

Sowore? Dude that is promising to increase minimum wage by 455%. FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY-FIVE PERCENT?!!! 😂😂😂.

Can we actually not afford a 455% raise?

4 hours ago, Mimy said:

That mindset is exactly why we are in this mess with Buhari. Vote who you think can get the job done, regardless of if they have a godfather or not or if they are spending tax payer’s money on their campaigns. 

I don’t see it as wasting my vote, we cannot to do the same things and expect different results. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawken said:

Can we actually not afford a 455% raise?

Let's be realistic here. That we can afford it is not even the issue. If minimum wage should be increase by 455%, the level of inflation that will follow will be worst than what we have currently. We might even be as worst as Venezuela. 

This is basic economics. You don't increase minimum wage without boosting productivity. It's even best to boost productivity and reduce minimum wage.
If economy is stable, your pennies are worth a million.

People won't eat money, it's products and values that are exchanged for money. The government can print money all they want, but if no one is generating wealth, you have nothing to buy.

I bet Sowore didn't give this any thought. Dude is just after catchy campaign promises. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Damiee said:

That mindset is exactly why we are in this mess with Buhari. Vote who you think can get the job done, regardless of if they have a godfather or not or if they are spending tax payer’s money on their campaigns. 

I don’t see it as wasting my vote, we cannot to do the same things and expect different results. 

I understand your point. Right now we all know the game is between Buhari and Atiku. Those motivational speakers, not only do they not understand the intricacy of Nigeria politics, they aren't even ready to try. In the whole of Kano, there's no single campaign office of Sowore, Oby, Kinsley and the others. As in, Kano that gave Buhari millions of votes last election. How can any politician afford to write off such populous state. Not only Kano sef even Jigawa, Zamfara, Kastina, Sokoto, in fact, all the core north. We all know how populous the core north is. Not like their coverage of the north central, south-south, south-west and east is even enough sef. I bet lots of people over there too don't know of these guys. 

The irony is, Buhari and Atiku that are well known are the ones still campaigning nationwide. Atiku was in Jigawa yesterday. 

I know campaign of such magnitude requires lot of funds and all. Which is more reason they should have prepare more, join forces rather than creating those emergency political parties. Maybe in future, they will gain more experience and be better prepared. Right now, it's either Buhari or Atiku. 

1 hour ago, Mimy said:

People won't eat money, it's products and values that are exchanged for money. The government can print money all they want, but if no one is generating wealth, you have nothing to buy.

You are right.

But what would you suggest then?

Currently, the minimum wage is not enough to survive. I served when times were a bit sane and I served in a "Rural state" where food, rent and transportation was fair. But 19800 still wasn't enough.

How do people earning the minimum wage and less get by?

Increasing productivity isn't a one days job. Impossible to do both?

I know a thousand and one entrepreneurs (exergarrating of course) who don't make up to 50k a month from their products. So maybe products and services isn't all we need? Because we seem to have a surplus of those already. I consider myself middle class because background but personally, anything I do not NEED to survive I don't buy or pay for if it exceeds 4k. If I was earning more (myself and several million other youths), wouldn't we patronise these guys? Thereby generating wealth?

Honestly curious because politics, effects of policies and economics isn't my forte. Reading up of course.

3 hours ago, Damiee said:

But do you think your candidate has any chance of winning? Honestly?

I am up for Oby not only because shes a woman but also because she seems to know her onions. But I was in Benin and Warri this past week and nobody knows Kingsley and etc. A couple knew Oby but mostly because she's a woman. It was always a response of "Oh that woman? Ehhhh... ". Those are two states that ordinarily would not vote across tribal lines because they do not belong to any of the big threes. But still they do not know these guys, at least not enough to vote them.

Any vote for these guys would simply end up as numbers, part of the statistics. I suppose thats good too. Numbers help to keep track of growing trends, a shift in mindset and wants, etc.

But is numbers what we need in Nigeria right now?

This country is dying... Lagos is a bubble.

It was when I went somewhere in Benin last week that I knew poverty had a smell. And it envelopes your being. If I have had to percieve that smell for all my life, I too would sell my vote for 1k.

@Hawken, if government really want to boost productivity. It isn't that difficult or take longer time to achieve. All the government need do is make soft loans (interest free loan) available to small and medium scale entrepreneurs. Of course without the 'Nigeria factor' to the cripple the effects. Boost in basic amenities (especially water and electricity) to reduce cost of production. As industries won't longer spend heavily on diesel. 

Availability of capital and Reduction in cost of production will result in more products, which lead to reduction in prices of the products, thereby expanding sales and the demand for labour (employment). 

Increase in productivity means more sales, which means more profits for entrepreneurs, which means a rise in real wages (i.e the purchasing power) So increase in productivity lead to increase in wages. Outrageous Increase in nominal wages (salaries) which isn't cause by outrageous increase in productivity doesn't do any good. It worsen the economy as their will be much money chasing fewer goods. 

All these doesn't require a decade to achieve. Just an admistration with the political will.

28 minutes ago, Mimy said:

@Hawken

Increase in productivity means more sales, which means more profits for entrepreneurs, which means a rise in real wages (i.e the purchasing power) So increase in productivity lead to increase in wages.

But the most productive industries aren't necessarily the highest paying industries, why so?

There is  what we refer to as real wage and nominal wage in economics. Real wage means the quantity of goods and services your wage can purchase while nominal wage refer to numerical wage(ie actual salary figure).

E.g if N18, 000 can buy 3bags of rice before and now it can only buy 1bag, we say there is a decrease in real wage. If salary increase from N18, 000 to N100, 000, we say there's an increase in nominal wage. For an economy to be deem progressive, increase in real wage is preferable. 

Increase in productivity leads to increase in real wage not nominal wage. And for this to be achieved, it has to at a macro level. That is, the collective increase in productivity of the economy at large not just a single micro sector or industry. 

That said, even in single sector, highly productive industries under a normal scenario are suppose to pay their staff a relatively higher nominal wage because of high sales and profit. When the situation is not so, labour union/movement and occasionally government policies (wage control) are usually there to check that. 

7 hours ago, Hawken said:

But do you think your candidate has any chance of winning? Honestly?

I am up for Oby not only because shes a woman but also because she seems to know her onions. But I was in Benin and Warri this past week and nobody knows Kingsley and etc. A couple knew Oby but mostly because she's a woman. It was always a response of "Oh that woman? Ehhhh... ". Those are two states that ordinarily would not vote across tribal lines because they do not belong to any of the big threes. But still they do not know these guys, at least not enough to vote them.

Any vote for these guys would simply end up as numbers, part of the statistics. I suppose thats good too. Numbers help to keep track of growing trends, a shift in mindset and wants, etc.

But is numbers what we need in Nigeria right now?

This country is dying... Lagos is a bubble.

It was when I went somewhere in Benin last week that I knew poverty had a smell. And it envelopes your being. If I have had to percieve that smell for all my life, I too would sell my vote for 1k.

Probably not but if we continue like this, we will always be left with mediocre presidents like the ones we have and we will have no one to blame but ourselves. 

Not deterred by how popular both candidates are. Even if my vote doesn’t count, will vote for my preferred candidate. Hopefully people do better in the next elections. 

We really need to do better. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Damiee said:

Probably not but if we continue like this, we will always be left with mediocre presidents like the ones we have and we will have no one to blame but ourselves. 

Not deterred by how popular both candidates are. Even if my vote doesn’t count, will vote for my preferred candidate. Hopefully people do better in the next elections. 

We really need to do better. 

Fair enough

2 hours ago, Mimy said:

There is  what we refer to as real wage and nominal wage in economics. Real wage means the quantity of goods and services your wage can purchase while nominal wage refer to numerical wage(ie actual salary figure).

E.g if N18, 000 can buy 3bags of rice before and now it can only buy 1bag, we say there is a decrease in real wage. If salary increase from N18, 000 to N100, 000, we say there's an increase in nominal wage. For an economy to be deem progressive, increase in real wage is preferable. 

Increase in productivity leads to increase in real wage not nominal wage. And for this to be achieved, it has to at a macro level. That is, the collective increase in productivity of the economy at large not just a single micro sector or industry. 

That said, even in single sector, highly productive industries under a normal scenario are suppose to pay their staff a relatively higher nominal wage because of high sales and profit. When the situation is not so, labour union/movement and occasionally government policies (wage control) are usually there to check that. 

Understood..

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:48 AM, scarlet said:

Is it just me, or there are other bespectacled people who pull off their Glasses before they start eating? A colleague of mine asked me why I do that every time we had lunch. And I didn't even know when I do it, I said. Who eat with their Glasses on in the first place?😐

I eat with my glasses on...especially if I'm eating out. What if there's a small bug or hair in your food?